Ann Dewar Mailer..1800s

Replies: 34

Mailler

Valerie Henshaw (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2001 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mailer, Mailler, Middleton
Hi Rob,

My Mailers (one ‘l’) came from Auchterarder and although I was born in Edinburgh, I have been delighted to find that five (and possibly seven) of the family came to Australia. This has led to a fairly detailed study of many Mailer/Mailler families in Australia. Most of them came from Perthshire, some from Kinross. I notice the marriage of your Robert MAILLER and Agnes Robertson MIDDLETON was registered in St Ninian’s, Stirling on 7 Feb 1841 and in South Leith, Midlothian on 8 Feb 1841. Do you know if either of them was native to Stirling? I am interested in the South Leith connection because my 2xgt-grandfather, William Brydie Mailer, had left Auchterarder for South Leith where he married on 5 Dec 1844. My William had a brother called Robert who was born in Auchterarder 9 Dec 1827 and he is one of those who migrated to Australia. Do you know where your Robert was born or who his parents were? I expect one of the reasons he was in South Leith is because it was a busy port. I see your Robert and Agnes had a son called John in 1853. Was this the JOHN SAUNDERS MAILLER who later married ADA MAUD WRIGHT KENDALL? Do you know of another researcher into this family - Steven Howard (sghoward@bigfoot.com)? I found him on Rootsweb’s WorldConnect project but I haven’t been in touch with him myself. He appears to be a descendant of John Saunders Mailler but does not list any siblings of John, nor is he aware of Robert’s or Agnes’ parents. In fact, he only seems to know of Agnes as Agnes R., nothing more, and he doesn’t have her date of death either. He gives the source of his information as Shirley Bishop via email Nov 1998.

I am not convinced that Mailer and Mailler are entirely different surnames. They may be, but I also think different
spellings were often adopted in the colonies because nobody could be bothered to correct them. I have an on-going project to build a data-base of Mailer (and variants) records. It is a slow process and to date I have only entered c400 records. Most of them pertain to Australia but I do have some Scots entries. I do have some entries for a bloke who could be your Robert; they appear in the Argus Passenger Index 1846-1865 when he was Master or Captain of various coastal vessels. On one trip he was the Captain of the Kembla which ran aground and was reported in The Argus 5 May 1864. If you donÂ’t have this info and would like it,
do let me know.

Best wishes.

Valerie Henshaw, Melbourne, Australia
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jerri Linke 14 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT 
John Chalmers 12 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT 
WILLIAM MAILER 30 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT 
IreneWilson90 19 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT 
WILLIAM MAILER 20 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Robert Mailler 16 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Kathy Mailler 11 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Valerie Henshaw 28 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT 
jehedley 19 Jun 2002 11:39PM GMT 
Valerie Henshaw 20 Jun 2002 11:07PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions