Ann Dewar Mailer..1800s

Replies: 34

Anne Dewar Mailer - siblings

Valerie Henshaw (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2001 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mailer, Hunter, Bethune, Stark
Hi Jerry,

I have just come across this thread and have quite a bit of information on the siblings of your ANN DEWAR MAILER. My Mailers hail from Auchterarder. I was born in Edinburgh, Scotland but in recent times, I discovered that five members of “my” Mailers came to Australia c1852, and possibly as many as seven. This led to me researching Mailer in Australia and trying to “tease out” the various Mailer families who came here, mostly from Perthshire, to see whether they were related in any way. I think I am correct in saying that William MAILER & Elizabeth HUNTER had children as follows : James b. 4 Oct. 1822; Robert b. 5 Jun 1824; William b. 3 Oct. 1828; Ninian b. 4 Oct. 1830; Elizabeth b. 1831; Helen b. 15 Dec 1834; Anne Dewar b. 13 Jun. 1837 (all born Kinross) - there may be others. James and Ninian came to Australia and I think Elizabeth as well. I believe that Elizabeth married in Melbourne (to Ebenezer BETHUNE) and had children and may have settled in New Zealand. James & Ninian (both boot & shoe makers) never married. If you are interested, I have dates of death, electoral roll information, photos of their gravestones (in Melbourne) and also copies of the administrations of their estates. Ninian’s is particularly interesting as he died intestate in 1915, leaving an estate valued at £18,050 2s 11d and no less than 28(!) people were traced as his next of kin. They lived in three states of Australia; New Zealand; England; Scotland; Canada; United States; and South Africa. Interestingly, Ninian, who was 85 when he died, is said to be “the youngest but one of seven children, the youngest having died in infancy”. James died in 1888, also intestate, and the administration of his estate found his next of kin to be his brother Ninian and his two sisters, namely Ellen STARK, residing in Kinross, and Ann Dewar, residing in Glasgow. Please get in touch with me if you would like any more information. Likewise, I would be delighted to know of any information you have on Ann Dewar Mailer and her parents. I am fascinated that the 1881 census says she had a son born in the United States c1873 but obviously returned to Scotland as her daughter was born there c1878.

Best wishes.

Valerie Henshaw, Melbourne, Australia

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jehedley 19 Jun 2002 11:44PM GMT 
jehedley 19 Jun 2002 11:35PM GMT 
anzalee123 11 Jun 2012 7:19PM GMT 
jehedley 11 Jun 2012 8:50PM GMT 
Valerie Henshaw 28 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic