Search for content in message boards

John McKenzie and Jane Hardy in Morayshire, Scotland

Replies: 1

John McKenzie and Jane Hardy in Morayshire, Scotland

Posted: 20 May 2009 8:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McKenzie, Hardy, Ross, Sutherland
I have John McKenzie and Jean/Hardy producing at least three children in Duffus, Moray.

John was born in 1802, Elspet in 1917, and George in 1819.

George was a flesher/butcher and married Christina Ross. I have his death certificate which indicates that John was a crofter.

I have not been able to find any trace of John (junior).

I do have an Elizabeth McKenzie who married Andrew Sutherland in Duffus, where Elizabeth was born about 1820. They then moved to Sutherlandshire. She was alive for the 1851 census (hence the above information) but died young.

In Family Search there is a birth of Elspeth to John McKenzie and Jean Hurdy, christened 16 Jun 1817 Duffus, Morayshire (obtained parish baptism from Scotlandspeople but there were no other clues). In the naming of their children the first female name is Jane, the next two had Andrew's parents names,and the fourth child was female, but given a female version of John, ie Johan. From this ordering of the names one would expect the wife's parents to be John and Jane, which supports the above christening record. The two following children were named after their parents, which also follows the traditional naming pattern.

Does anyone know this family? I have been unable to find the marriage of John McKenzie and Jane Hardy, nor have I been able to locate their deaths.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Sue
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lskelso 20 May 2009 2:45PM GMT 
freerd 7 Dec 2013 12:01AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions