Hello, Karen --
You wrote: "I have a super photo taken a few weeks ago in Inverallan Graveyard of Alexander Cruickshank senior and his son Alexander Cruickshank, Isabella Ross, and Lewis .If you would like a copy just send me your email address."
What a nice offer. I'd love a copy, and will forward it to my friend who is a Cruickshank from the same line. (Would give you her name & email, but reluctant to do that without permission)
My husband is descended from Elizabeth Grant, who married (2) James Cruickshank, eldest son of Alexander and Isabella.
Below is the first part of a tree of the first 3 generations of Alexander Cruickshank's descendants that my friend did last year. If you'd like the rest of it, please let me know.
Thanks again for your kind offer -- would love to see the photo!
-------------------------partial Alex'r Cruickshank tree-------------------------------
Generation No. 1
1. ALEXANDER1 CRUICKSHANK was born Abt. 1777 in Possibility only. Parents not yet known, born Abernethy. (Source: 1861 census.), and died 21 July 1863 in Aged 86 years. He married ISABELLA ROSS Abt. 1819 in Moray. date estimated from birth of Alexander. (Source: IGI Microfiche..). She was born Abt. 1781, and died 25 August 1847 in Speybridge. Aged 66 years.
Notes for ALEXANDER CRUICKSHANK:
1. Alexander was a Sergeant in the Second Regiment.
In 1823 he was a pensioner in Speybridge.
2. In 1841 he was at Anagach Lot 4,with Isabella, he was 64 and she was60. Also in the house were :-
Margaret Cruickshank,20, Barbara McKenzie 13, a farm servant, and Ann Grant, 70, Ind.
1861 Census Alexander is at Speybridge with Daughter Margaret & her Husband John & their
3. There may have been previous children born to Alexander and Isobel. The IGI shows 2 children Alexander and Margaret being born to Alexander Cruickshank. No mother was mentioned.
More About ISABELLA ROSS:
Burial: Old Cemetery, Grantown
Children of ALEXANDER CRUICKSHANK and ISABELLA ROSS are:
2. i. JAMES2 CRUICKSHANK, b. 17 May 1811, Abernethy; d. 1879, Cromdale aged 68.
ii. ALEXANDER CRUICKSHANK, b. 20 February 1818, Speybridge. (Source: OPR's.); d. 14 June 1840, Speybridge. Aged 22 years.
More About ALEXANDER CRUICKSHANK:
Baptised: 6 March 1818, Speybridge.
3. iii. MARGARET CRUICKSHANK, b. 16 May 1820, Speybridge.; d. 1903.
iv. LEWIS CRUICKSHANK, b. 10 April 1823, Speybridge. (Source: OPR's.); d. 13 August 1853, aged 30 years.
More About LEWIS CRUICKSHANK:
Baptised: 13 April 1823
Burial: Old Cemetery, Grantown
Occupation: 1851, Blacksmith, Unmarried, Lots of Speybridge
Generation No. 2
2. JAMES2 CRUICKSHANK (ALEXANDER1) was born 17 May 1811 in Abernethy, and died 1879 in Cromdale aged 68. He married (1) ELIZABETH GRANT 24 May 1841 in Greenock (Source: IGI Family Search.), daughter of WILLIAM GRANT and SARAH GREEN. She was born 12 January 1812 in Gosport, Hants (Source: IGI Family Search.), and died 8 January 1848 in Petersburg, Virginia. (Source: Mignon.). He married (2) HELEN MC DONALD 29 November 1870 in Grantown (Source: IGI Family Search.). She was born Abt. 1821, and died 14 October 1911 in Anagach, Aged 90.
Notes for JAMES CRUICKSHANK:
1. The IGI shows the birth of James to Alexander Cruickshank and Ross. No mother's Christian Name given. Obviously born before the marriage of his parents.
About 1841 James and Elizabeth emigrated to Petersburg, Virginia USA with Elizabeth's six Cameron Children, whose ages ranged from 12 down to 2 years old.
In 1851 census, at Lots of Speybridge, James Cruickshank, Shoemaker, Widower born Abernethy, with his daughter Isabella, aged 9 born USA, son James aged 7 Born USA.
In 1861 census James aged 49 with his son James aged 16 born USA and David aged 15 born USA, all at Speybridge.
In 1871 James is living at Mid Anagach with his wife Helen McDonald..............