Search for content in message boards

Searching for my Scotland McKenzies

Replies: 1

Searching for my Scotland McKenzies

Posted: 18 Aug 2012 5:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McKenzie, Ralston
I am one of the countless N. American descendants of Highland families that left Scotland in the 18th century "Clearances." My g-g-g grandfather, Kenneth McKenzie, left Scotland (perhaps making the trip on the Hector in 1773) as a boy. I know when and where he died here (1814, PA), but all I know about his life in Scotland is that "he was born near Ft. George." We're all assuming he was born c.1760 (based on other sketchy clues). His first two children were named John and Mary; so, that may also hold a clue. Another of his children was Colin, my g-g grandfather, born in the States (PA) in 1804.

My McKenzie line seems to be closely associated with the Ralstons. It apparently started in Scotland; and they may have emigrated together. They then hooked up again here; and 3 of Kenneth's children (including Colin) married Ralston siblings. (I know more about the Ralstons than the McKenzies now.)

I recently joined the Highland Family Historical Society, and hope to further my research there. But I have searched long enough to know that I must not leave any stone unturned. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DaveM1260 18 Aug 2012 11:09PM GMT 
SWILLIAMSON12... 18 Aug 2012 11:35PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions