Robert Moody / Moddy from Orkney

Replies: 33

Re: Robert Moody / Moddy from Orkney

melissa (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2006 11:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Nov 2006 9:32PM GMT
Hi,
MODI is a version of the spelling of our name which I have been researching for a while now. My father has just had yet another match (ydna) to a family who has Northern Ireland links but whose family is 99% prob. Scottish.
My family is not matching to any of the English Moody's even though our name is spelled in the more common English manner. We are sharing dna and genealogy however with the MOODIE's/MUDIE's/MUDY's from Scotland over and over again.
Since my Father's ydna has already been proven to be of a Norwegian haplotype, I am convinced that our Moodie family are those who lived in Hoy, Orkney since the time of the Viking rule there.
The Moodie Book genealogy of this family publ. in 1906 also tells that they claim a Norse lineage to the Vikings from that time as well.
It only makes sense to me that since my name is Moody, my Dad's dna is Norse, most of our closest matching other surnames are from the same families that these Moodie's in the Orkney's married into etc. etc, that This is Our Line.
I have just been in touch with a lady who contacted me telling me that her family too was from Co. Londonderry, Ireland and came to America but that her father told her that his family Was Scottish and that even though their name was also changed to the more common English spelling of the name, that they were not in any way to be confused with the New England Moody's.

Having said all of this, again, I do believe my Moody family are from that line of the Orkney Isles. Dad has 15 shared matches to men from Iceland and 5 from the Shetland Isles as well as numerous ones from Scotland.
I had no idea there were any Moddy's in Norway. This may Surely be my ancient family then.
I would love to receive anything you are willing to share and you can send it via email to me at my email address listed here.
Thank you so very much for the Reply and I will look foward to hearing from you soon.
Melissa
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Charmayne_Paa... 23 Jun 2005 7:43PM GMT 
Beate Bendixen 29 Sep 2005 11:38AM GMT 
melissa 21 Nov 2006 3:50AM GMT 
Charmayne 21 Nov 2006 5:13PM GMT 
melissa 21 Nov 2006 6:39PM GMT 
Charmayne 21 Nov 2006 7:37PM GMT 
harryaro 30 Oct 2008 1:55PM GMT 
chlypa 4 Nov 2008 10:54PM GMT 
harryaro 5 Nov 2008 9:05AM GMT 
chlypa 5 Nov 2008 7:56PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions