Search for content in message boards

Barbara Simison (Symison) b. abt 1756 in Grimness, South Ronaldsay, Orkney Islands

Replies: 17

Re: Barbara Simison (Symison) b. abt 1756 in Grimness, South Ronaldsay, Orkney Islands

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 2:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Liz
You are correct in that Daniel Budge born1814 came to Australia as a ships carpenter onboard The Royal Consort.
During the voyage he fell in love with a bounty settler Elizabeth Matilda Richardson and he jumped ship in Sydney changed his name from Budge to Burge(very bright) .
He married Matilda and after some years settled in Grenfell. After losing several of his children and then getting lost in the Weddin mountains he was admitted to the Gladesville Home for the insane where he died in 1888
I lived in Sydney most of my life and then after a short period on the gold Coast my wife and I moved to Port Macquarie just up the road from you.
We are considering visiting Grimness when we are overseas in June next year but have not quite made up our mind at this time. Apparently there are still many Budges in the area and I have a photograph of the old family home known as Hottit in Grimness which I understand is just south of Kirkwall,
Nice to hear from you,
Regards
Jim Burge
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LReibin 28 Jul 2013 4:59PM GMT 
ElizMcCauley 16 Jun 2013 7:46AM GMT 
LReibin 28 Jul 2013 4:54PM GMT 
james burge 1 Nov 2013 10:35PM GMT 
ElizMcCauley 3 Nov 2013 1:02PM GMT 
james burge 3 Nov 2013 9:29PM GMT 
LReibin 9 Jul 2013 7:59PM GMT 
ElizMcCauley 16 Jun 2013 7:31AM GMT