Search for content in message boards

Achmore Mackays

Replies: 13

Re: Achmore Mackays

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 12:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McKay Ross MacKenzie
Thanks for the offer. My Ross family settled in a place called Little Narrows, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. My pioneer was an Alexander Ross b. c. 1789 who was married to a Mary McKay. Most settlers in Little Narrows came from Uig, Lewis.

There were several Malcolm McKays in and around Little Narrows that came from Lewis, but I don't know if they are from Achmore. The Neil McKay from Achmore, married to Catherine Ross from Lochs, apparently settled in Baddeck, Cape Breton which is close to Little Narrows.

And there was a Donald Ross b.c. 1780 married to a Jessie MacKenzie that settled in Baddeck. She was a niece of the Jane Mackenzie from Crossbost that was married to the Roderick Ross from Crobeg (re the Catherine Ross married to your Neil McKay).

Furthermore, there was an Alexander Ross at Lundale in 1819. Given that your McKays may have also been at Lundale, it all seems to indicate that your McKays are possibly related to the Mary McKay married to my Alexander Ross. There seems to be a lot of similarities with these folks.

Can you make any connections yourself between your McKays and any part of Cape Breton? And can you please provide how you connect to Calum Neil. Thanks!

Cheers,
Donald Fraser Ross
Halifax, NS,
Canada

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Rosschaser 19 Aug 2010 9:44PM GMT 
Rosschaser 20 Aug 2010 11:25PM GMT 
marina_mackay... 7 Feb 2013 2:09AM GMT 
Rosschaser 7 Feb 2013 7:15PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions