Search for content in message boards

Thomas William BARKER - hairdresser in Pembroke; last known in Breconshire

Replies: 4

Thomas William BARKER - hairdresser in Pembroke; last known in Breconshire

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 8:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Sep 2012 8:44AM GMT
Surnames: barker, Slee,milburne, stockdale
I have tried this posting several times before, the first time in 2007 however no luck so far, so trying again!

I am trying to find out what happened to my great great uncle, Thomas William Barker born in St John in the Vale Greystoke Cumberland in 1888.

His parents were Robert Barker 1857 - 1895 & Jane Milburn 1865 - 1893. Roberts parents were Robert Barker 1831 - 1888 & Margaret Stockdale 1836 - 1895.

Thomas & his sister Margaret were both orphaned in 1895 with the sudden death of their father, Margaret was adopted by John and Marjory Greenhow of Keswick in the Lake District, and it seems that Thomas went to live with his grandmother Margaret Stockdale for a couple of months until her death in April 1895.
Thomas was then sent to live at the Mullers Orphanage in Bristol. I have visited Muller House in Bristol and was given access to Thomas Williams records.

Thomas was admited to the infant department of the orphanage on 24th May 1895.
He lived at the orphanage for seven years and was sent in 1902 at the age of fourteen to become an apprentice hairdresser to a Mr William Eaton Slee, Clock Tower Salon, Main Street, Pembroke, West Wales.

I have spoken to a very kind Lady at the Pembrokshire records office who had a look around and has found that Thomas was listed as a Barber, in Main Street up to 1914, after that there is nothing.

I have now found him in the 1911 census

Tom Barker
Age in 1911: 22
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889
Relation to Head: Boarder
Birth Place: Materdale, Westmorland, England
Civil parish: Brynmawr
County/Island: Breconshire
Street Address: 6 Milletts Terr Brynmawr
Marital Status: Single

I have tried all the marriage records in the area for him, military records, death records & have not found anything.

Any information would be much appreciated
Here's hoping
Janine x
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jstothard_1 6 Sep 2012 2:19PM GMT 
robmoff 6 Sep 2012 5:06PM GMT 
jstothard_1 8 Sep 2012 9:19AM GMT 
robmoff 8 Sep 2012 9:26AM GMT 
jstothard_1 8 Sep 2012 9:45AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions