Search for content in message boards

Hugh Hughes b 1847 Caernarvonshire, father John Thomas Hughes, help!?

Replies: 2

Hugh Hughes b 1847 Caernarvonshire, father John Thomas Hughes, help!?

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 6:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hughes
Hi,
Hugh Hughes was born on the 21st May 1847 in Caernarvon, Wales.
I know Hugh 'jumped ship' approx. 1869-1870 in Wallaroo, South Australia, and married Mary Jane Crouch in 18 May 1872 and lived and died in Wallaroo. On his Marriage certificate he lists his father as John Thomas Hughes but I have been unable to find a man of this name with a child named Hugh in the Census records, apart from those families who clearly have a Hugh still in the country after the time I know Hugh was in Australia.
I have found a family of John Hughes(42, shoemaker, born Llanystumdwy, Caernarvonshire, Wales), wife Ann(36, born Llanaelhaiarn, Caernarvonshire, Wales as were all children below) in the 1851 census with children Ellen(11), Jane(8), John(6), Hugh (4), and Laura(2), and again in Census 1861 with children John(17, stone dresser), Hugh(14, stone dresser), David(9), William(6) and Robert(3).
I am not sure if this is MY Hugh and father John Thomas or not. My Hugh did go on to name some of his children "Robert John", "Margaret Ann" (perhaps giving his parents' names as middle names to his eldest 2 children), and other children were named "David" and "William" perhaps after the young brothers he left behind.....although for sure those names are very common for the time and location.
According to family heresay Hugh was the ship navigator but his "x" mark on the marriage cert. shows his illiteracy so this is unlikely. I found an informal record (newspaper article I think from memory) mentioning able-seaman Hugh Hughes (correct age and from Wales) on a ship "Compadre" from home port Liverpool that was in South Australia at that time but I have misplaced it(Yikes!). He disappeared from the crew list after that (ship was going through court cases for damaged goods brought from the UK and was in the newspapers a bit). Not sure if it is MY Hugh though. There seems to be no formal listing of him ever being on a crew. I do not know if he had siblings. I do not know his mother's first OR last name. I would love any information on this man's life prior to arrival in Australia. I guess I need to seek out his birth certificate....?
Kind regards,
Tess
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Smith_Teresa 26 Feb 2013 1:51PM GMT 
Megan Roberts 1 Mar 2013 11:58PM GMT 
Smith_Teresa 2 Mar 2013 11:10AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions