Search for content in message boards

Thomas Jones - Impossible to Find?

Replies: 2

Thomas Jones - Impossible to Find?

Posted: 22 Nov 2013 10:39AM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: Jones
I've an ancestor that has puzzled me for the best part of five years now. His name was Thomas Jones, who I believe was born between the 16th of May 1870 (death certificate reads that he was 41 yrs at death [b.1871]) and the 12th of June 1870 (marriage records him as 25 yrs at time of marriage [b.1870]). These dates seem to correspond that he married after his 25th birthday, and died before his 42nd birthday.

Every census has brought up that he was born in 'Wales', and nothing else until the 1911 census, which has him listed as being born in NK (Not Known), Cardiganshire, Wales.

I should mention that he was a 'Milkman on Rounds' in Clerkenwell 1891 and a Dairyman in Southwark in 1901 and 1911.

The 1901 Census sees Thomas (32) and his family in London, where he's living with his wife, Mary (25), children: David (6), Lizzie (5) and Annie (2). Staying with them is Evan(s) Jones (29), his brother who runs a farm in Wales (again, no discernible area) and his wife Lizzie (23) who I cannot find either of in later Censuses. Other guests in the household are Charlotte Ware (14), one of their shop-assistants, and Thomas and Evan's younger sister, Annie (19), working as the other shop assistant.

Even with all of these facts drawn together, I cannot find a match in any of the earlier censuses and I haven't the name of the mother of Thomas, Evan and Annie (assuming they're even the same!).

I ordered his marriage certificate in hopes of finding clues to his origins; but came up with only his father, John Jones; a farmer deceased prior to the marriage on the 12th of May 1895.

I've also ordered the death certificate based on a family story concerning the death of Thomas Jones. That story being that he was drowned off the coast of Aberystwyth; and that shortly afterwards, Mary (his wife) remarried and my great-great grandmother Lizzie fled home to a relation called 'Auntie Park Road' in London because the step-father was potentially abusive. My own grandmother recalled that Lizzie was 16 or 17 when she fled home, putting the death of Thomas Jones around 1912.

On ordering the certificate, it had confirmed the family story that he had infact drowned in the sea in Aberystwyth.

However it did not shed any further light on his origins.

So in light of these insurmountable pitfalls that I have endured; I am hoping to fall on the pity and charity of anybody in the Cardiganshire area that might be able to discover the answer to the mystery of Thomas Jones' birth and family.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mike Ambrose 22 Nov 2013 5:39PM GMT 
protheroejone... 4 Jun 2014 10:58PM GMT 
Mike Ambrose 5 Jun 2014 10:15AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions