Search for content in message boards

Identify place name: Kinshuby, Flintshire, Wales. Birth place of Samuel Davies born abt 1810

Replies: 6

Re: Identify place name: Kinshuby, Flintshire, Wales. Birth place of Samuel Davies born abt 1810

Posted: 5 Jan 2014 2:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
The enumerator has done a pretty shoddy job here and many of the place names are ambiguous throughout this piece.
The first letter of the name is definitely a K, as in 'Kirkdale' a few lines below.
I read it as "Kimberly" but there is no such place in Flintshire!
There are very few places in Wales beginning with a K. In Flintshire just Kelsterton and Kinnerton, with Knolton in the Maelor exclave.
Samuel Davies gives even less information on the other censuses - 1861: "Wales" and 1871: "Flint, Wales" (but does he mean the town or the county?).

I think the answer lies in the 1881 census. There is a Samuel Davies, a Farm Labourer, of the right age living in the West Derby Workhouse, in Rice Street, Walton on the Hill. He gives his place of birth as "Kinerton" but gives no county! The GRO have later added "Lancashire" but I believe that it should be "Kinnerton, Flintshire"??? This is your man.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kelvinmelb00 4 Jan 2014 7:21AM GMT 
michaeldavies... 4 Jan 2014 4:22PM GMT 
kelvinmelb00 5 Jan 2014 1:23AM GMT 
kelvinmelb00 5 Jan 2014 1:25AM GMT 
michaeldavies... 5 Jan 2014 3:25PM GMT 
michaeldavies... 5 Jan 2014 3:38PM GMT 
bromaelor 5 Jan 2014 9:09PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic