Search for content in message boards

HOLTON

Replies: 1
Posted: 11 Jul 1998 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jul 2001 5:34PM GMT
Search for surname HOLTON ancestors
by: Richard L. Holton
The search for my HOLTON ancestors ends with the death of my 3rd. Great Grandfather JOHN HOLTON l, who is reported to have died in County Kildare, possibly prior to Feb. 1849. My research indicates he was married to a MARY WELSH. They had four sons that I know of JOHN ll, EDWARD, JAMES W. and WILLIAM MARCY HOLTON. WILLIAM'S date of birth is known to be Sept.21,1847, in Kildare, County Kildare. It is possible there may have been at least one daughter.
It is speculated, the HOLTONS lived in either County Kildare, County Cork, or County Meath. It is known that shortly following the death of JOHN l, a contingent of HOLTONS emigrated to the United States aboard the ship "METOKA" sailing from Liverpool and arriving in New York on April 5,1849. Ship's records indicate that a MARY HOLTON age 40; an EDWARD HOLTON age 24; a MARGARET HOLTON age 19; and a CATHERINE HOLTON age 17 were aboard. ( These two young women and a BETSY HOLTON are thought to be daughters of JOHN l & MARY (Welsh) HOLTON, but no other information on them has been found in Ireland or the U.S.).
The 1850 Census of New York, Westchester County, Cortlandt Township reflects that a MARY; EDWARD; JOHN II; JAMES; and a WILLIAM HOLTON were all residing there at that time. It is also known that EDWARD had married a MARY CARTER in Ireland before emigrating. Some of the HOLTONS are known to have settled along the Hudson River in the area known as "Verplanks", New York.
EDWARD HOLTON, my 2nd. Great Grandfather is known to have moved to Taylor Township, Wayne County, Michigan about 1855.
Records indicate that EDWARD filed Naturalization papers in Michigan on April 30,1856.
The 1860 Census of Taylor Center, Taylor Township, Wayne County, Michigan, indicates a MARY (Welsh) HOLTON widow of JOHN l; EDWARD HOLTON; MARY A. (Carter) HOLTON wife of EDWARD; JAMES HOLTON; and WILLIAM M. HOLTON were living there at that time.
Burial records indicate that all the above named persons (except JOHN ll) are buried in Wayne County, Michigan.
The HOLTONS may have been Protestants in Ireland, but that is a guess. It is reported that they were farmers, and it is possible they may have been landowners as they had a bit of money upon their arrival in the United States.
I have no other information regarding JOHN HOLTON l, beyond his death in County Kildare. I am trying to push the lineage beyond him but he is a formidable block to my research at this point. I need to know who he was, who were his parents, his siblings etc. What was his occupation, his religious affiliation. Who was MARY WELSH? Perhaps the key to finding information on JOHN lies with the WELSH family.

Military records regarding JOHN ll, indicate he enlisted in the United States Army during the American Civil War, company 'B', 48th infantry of the New York State Volunteers, at the age of 21, on August 20, 1861, rose the rank of First Sergent (one of only two) received the "Gilmore Medal of Honor" twice, was wounded twice, and discharged on July 16, 1864. John gave his place of birth as Kildare, Enfield, Ireland. I understand that 'Enfield' is in county Meath, this adds to the confusion. This would approximate his birth date as cica 1840
John is known to have married a Jane Stinson in New York in April 22, 1866, John died on December 21, 1884, in Brooklyn NY.
If anyone has any information about the HOLTON surname in Ireland either in specific response to my request or in general, I would be most appreciative. Even if the information seems insignificant sometimes the tiniest scrap, can lead to something important. Can anyone lead me to HOLTONS currently living in Ireland, who might have the same or similar lineage?
Please contact me via this bulletin board or via E-mail at You may also respond via "snail mail" care of:
Richard HOLTON P.O. Box 29073, Las Vegas, NV. 89126.
Thank You.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
giantaku 11 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT 
RoyJosephmaxw... 15 Jun 2013 9:04AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions