David Owen Owens - 1852 - 1919 - Bangor, Wales 1890

Replies: 3

Re: Owens - Bangor, Wales 1890

Tony Owen (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2002 1:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harker, Hough, Owen, Reid, Grundy, Cardus
Hi Leslie

This is a possibility as a starter - This family is from the 1881 British Census.....

=======================================

Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
David OWEN Head M Male 29 Penrhos Garnedd, Caernarvon, Wales Slate Quarryman
Ellen OWEN Wife M Female 26 Llandegai, Caernarvon, Wales Quarrymans Wife
Evan W. OWEN Son Male 3 Llanllechid, Caernarvon, Wales
Mary OWENS Daur Female 1 Llanllechid, Caernarvon, Wales

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling 27 Bryn Owen St S Caellwyngrydd
Census Place Llanllechid, Caernarvon, Wales
Family History Library Film 1342340
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 5579 / 54
Page Number 18

=======================================

The next step would be to find the marriage certificate for David and Ellen. I've looked on the Free BMD Site (which is incomplete) but can't see a match at the moment.

The Site is http://www.freebmd.rootsweb.com/

The only way to find the marriage is therefore to search the British GRO Indexes for the marriage which involves searching for an entry for David Owen Owens from say 1877 backwards and then finding a corresponding reference for an Ellen Williams - loads of Ellen Williams listed so start with David. Don't forget to look under both Owen and Owens - these were interchangeable depending who was doing the registering.

If you can get the marriage certificate this will give the father's name for both parties and will make the search for their births easier.

For general genealogical information on Caernarvonshire I suggest you look at the GENUKI site...............
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CAE/

This site also lists the appropriate Registry Offices under Civil Registration so if you have no luck with the indexes it may be worth writing to the appropriate office to see if they can search for the marriage in their records. You could also try for David Owen Owens birth.

A word of caution - often welsh forenames were reversed - I spent ages looking for my Grandfather and Great Grandfather - their names George William and George Lewis Owen had been reversed and were indexed under William George and Lewis George respectively.

Happy Hunting
Tony Owen
Bolton, Lancs
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jal7desi 3 Dec 2002 1:56AM GMT 
Tony Owen 4 Dec 2002 8:50AM GMT 
jal7desi 16 Dec 2002 9:37PM GMT 
dehockin 28 Jul 2013 3:21PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions