Search for content in message boards

Relatives of Henry Morgan the Pirate

Replies: 15

Uncle Henry Morgan the Pirate

Posted: 7 Mar 2003 6:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: morgan
he must have been a great uncle many times removed as he had no heirs- his will is published- a copy right on this site.

But I have heard there is another Sir Henry Morgan who lived in "NJ" and was not a pirate. A woman from NJ informed me of this this morning and maybe a lot of confusion stems from that. Including my own family's- even though my great uncle Sidney Morgan traveled to Wales to do research in 1948 and being with the dept of the us army he probably had some pull to get records. I do not really know, because he is dead.

It is not that I am trying to prove I am a direct descendant- but according to my great uncle Sidney Morgan, Sir Henry's father was the father of our Morgan who left Wales on a ship and came to The Colonies around 1695 and landed near Philadelphia.I do not know how many children he brought with him or had in his new home. Some of these stayed in the NJ area at first and some moved to Philadelphia before the time of the Revolution. Up till that time they were practicing Quakers. After that, some were barred from Meeting for joining the revolution (warlike activities)- I found that out in some Quaker archives in Philadelphia in1998- I saw my relatives name as being barred from Meeting. The Quakers were rather good record keepers- some of your family secrets may lie in these archives in Quaker strongholds of Pa and NJ if you back before 1776. My great uncle Sidney Morgan was trying to disprove our relation (as a great great greta great... UNCLE) to the pirate on a special trip to Wales in 1948. My mother says she heard him say that he had proven we were related to him indeed (but of course not directly descended) "and that he was sorely disappointed. Unfortunately all this material has disappeared -been dis.posed of. And it was not anything he was proud to hang on the wall- that he was the neffew several generations removed of a "pirate." They thought differently in 1948. No roots phenomenon.But I am try ing to piece it all together again. I am, according to family oral history, discended from Quakers who came from Wales around 1695 toNJ_Philadelphia area.My mother has some more proven dates but I am waiting for her to dig them out of the closet and my Morgan father is dead never haven given me the info he promised and his 2nd wife has not responded.Maybe a lot of us stem from this colonial family whose sons spread out across the country. Mine stayed around the Philadelphia area and environs including land in NJ and Valley Forge.
susan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
susanaldridge... 7 Mar 2003 2:06PM GMT 
Garycarbone79 2 Dec 2012 4:01AM GMT 
susanaldridge... 7 Mar 2003 1:48PM GMT 
susanaldridge... 7 Mar 2003 1:40PM GMT 
bwfgriffo 16 Jan 2004 12:48AM GMT 
susanaldridge... 7 Mar 2003 2:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic