Search for content in message boards

Mysterious change of name Thomas Henry DAVIES/THOMAS

Replies: 2

Mysterious change of name Thomas Henry DAVIES/THOMAS

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 9:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jan 2013 9:34AM GMT
Surnames: DAVIES THOMAS ROBERTS
Help! I have located a mysterious change of surname in a family in my tree, from THOMAS to DAVIES (or vice versa) in 1911.

I have been searching for some time for the parents of Lewis John Davies b. 1911, Merthyr Tydfil.
I acquired his marriage certificate, which stated his father's name Thomas Henry Davies, fruiterer.
Census searches for Thomas Davies, fruiterer were unsuccessful.
I finally bit the bullet and ordered Lewis John Davies birth certificate. Born 2nd July 1911 at 26 Waterloo Street, Caefantwyll, Merthyr Tydfil. Father Thomas Henry Davies, master fruiterer. Mother Annie Davies formerly Roberts.
With this information I still couldn't find the family (without Lewis John Davies of course) in the 1911 census.
Then I browsed through the 1911 census to see who was living at 26 Waterloo Street in April 1911:

Thomas Thomas, 24 years, fruiterer, Pontlottyn, Merthyr
Annie Thomas, 26, Perydown, Merthyr
Elizabeth W Thomas, 11 months, Merthyr

Does anyone have any inkling as to either why the family would give a different name or change their name for Census and Birth records? Or if this could be some incredible coincidence?

I have also found a marriage entry for an Annie ROBERTS in Q1 1909, which is when Thomas THOMAS and Annie THOMAS state they married on the 1911 census return. When I look at the others on the page, Annie ROBERTS is one of only 3 names. Census search shows the other two entries married each other, meaning the name of her husband is not indexed. A manual search of that quarter shows a Thomas Henry DAVIES with the same page number (11a 929) so this is the correct marriage. There is no entry for a Thomas THOMAS. Could this lack of indexing suggest there was/later was some dubiety about his name?

Thanks in advance!!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Lisa Garnham 25 Jan 2013 4:06PM GMT 
Megan Roberts 25 Jan 2013 11:53PM GMT 
Lisa Garnham 26 Jan 2013 11:30AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic