Search for content in message boards

information William David Walsh

Replies: 5

Re: information William David Walsh

Posted: 12 May 2013 12:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Walsh, Thorpe
I have not been able to find mention of Walter in any census other than '1881 and 1911. The Walter I have was born in 1881. After that I have been able to follow him to Canada, etc. etc. until his death. Likewise with his brother Owen. His info. comes from the 1911 census. I found no birth record, but have been able to follow him since the 1911 census until his death in Vancouver, B.C. Canada in 1970.
I found out from an elderly aunt that Walter grew up in an orphanage in England. She knew no more than that. Another family member said he had heard that the family was very poor and had to give their children up??? As to whether some children were born in Ireland, that could be a possibility, but I don't really know. I do know that Co. Cork suffered greatly during the potato famine and againg family lore said they left for Wlaes. Given that time frame Margaret Thorpe would have been nearing the end of her child bearing years.
Unfortunately, since I am unable to find any mention of the parents in Wales, and both Walter and Owen list that as their birth place, I can't find any children with a Margaret and William (they were both from Ireland ... possibly County Cork ... have not found any marriage records there); I was hoping there might be some documentation other than census to try and track adoptions/orphanages/workhouses. I have not been successful in Ancestry.
I am thinking I have hit the proverbial brick wall, until some other clue comes along.
Thank you for your interest. Very much appreciate it.
Linda, Ont. Canada
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LindaRoss182 7 May 2013 3:39PM GMT 
Megan Roberts 9 May 2013 4:34PM GMT 
LindaRoss182 9 May 2013 8:00PM GMT 
Megan Roberts 10 May 2013 9:33AM GMT 
LindaRoss182 12 May 2013 6:50PM GMT 
Merice46 24 May 2013 11:37AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic