Search for content in message boards

Mary Pritchard

Replies: 3

Re: Mary Pritchard

Posted: 8 Nov 2013 6:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Robert,

Sandra provided some good advice in her post of 17 August suggesting you obtain the marriage cert for Thomas W. Harvey and Mary Pritchard, as their marriage record will not only give you the names of their respective fathers, but also the occupations of their fathers.

If you haven’t sent to the GRO for the marriage record to date, I can give you instructions about how to obtaining it, as I located the marriage index for Thomas W. Harvey and Mary J. Pritchard at the FreeBMD website at:
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

The index shows the marriage was recorded in the Pontypool Registration District for the December quarter of 1913.

The index is below:

Marriages December Quarter 1913

Thomas W Harvey

Mary J Pritchard

Registration District: Pontypool

Volume: 11a

Page: 328
____

As noted by Sandra the General Register Office (GRO) in Southport, England holds the marriage cert, which, according to the index above, can be found in Volume 11a, Page 328 of the GRO registers. You can order the marriage record online from the GRO website at: https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

The GRO retains civil birth, marriage, and death records for England and Wales from the inception of Civil Registration in the September quarter of 1837, right up into the present day. For more information about researching family history through the GRO, go to: https://www.gov.uk/research-family-history

I next wanted to see if I could uncover the GRO birth index for your father, Thomas Kenneth Harvey. Your query to the Ancestry message board for Wales notes he was born on April 1, 1919. GRO birth indexes do not give exact dates of birth, but only the year and the quarter in which the child was born. In addition, after 1911 GRO birth indexes included the maiden name of the child’s mother. I found what I believe to be your father’s GRO birth index, showing his birth was recorded in the Pontypool Registration District for the June quarter of 1919. His birth record can be found in Volume 11a, Page 255 of the GRO registers. The index shows his mother’s maiden name was Pritchard:

Birth June Quarter 1919

Thomas K Harvey

Mother's Maiden Name: Pritchard

Page: 255
____

I then wanted to see if I could find the GRO birth indexes for any more children whose surnames were Harvey and whose mother’s maiden name was Pritchard. I found the birth indexes for four more children. These children and their years of birth are Daisy D. Harvey (1916); Mary E. Harvey (1923); Elizabeth S. Harvey (1929); and Margaret J. Harvey.

The indexes show the births of these four children were recorded in the Pontypool Registration District:

Birth December Quarter 1916

Daisy D Harvey

Page: 312
____

Birth December Quarter 1923

Mary E Harvey

Page: 321
____

Birth Sep Quarter 1929

Elizabeth S Harvey

Page: 234
____

Birth September Quarter 1931

Margaret J Harvey

Page: 248
____

The birth records for your dad’s sisters can also be ordered from the GRO.

Also Robert, I uncovered what may be the ship’s passenger list for your father, Thomas. This record is from Ancestry.com’s, “UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960.” The index below shows that Thomas Harvey departed from Liverpool, England on 5 May 1939, on the ship, Duchess of York, commanded by Charles Richardson, of the Canadian Pacific Shipping Line. The destination port for the Duchess of York was Montreal.

At the time he left Liverpool, the index shows that Thomas was 20 years old with a birth year of about 1919, which is the year of birth you have for your dad.

The index is below:

UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960

Name: Thomas Harvey
Birth Date: abt 1919
Departure Date: 5 May 1939
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Destination Port: Montreal, Canada

Ship Name: Duchess Of York
Shipping Line: Canadian Pacific
Official Number: 161202
Master: Chas Richardson

Source Citation: Class: BT26.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012.

Original data: Board of Trade: Commercial and Statistical Department and successors: Outwards Passenger Lists. BT27. Records of the Commercial, Companies, Labour, Railways and Statistics Departments. Records of the Board of Trade and of successor and related bodies. The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, England.
____

Ancestry.com has digitized a copy of the original Duchess of York ship’s manifest, which I’ve attached to this reply. The manifest shows that Thomas Harvey’s last address in the United Kingdom was, “Bryn Iver, Club Rd., Pontypool. His occupation is listed as, “Farming.”

To view a Google Map of Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales, go to the following link: http://tinyurl.com/kvxcmb4

Off the map, in the upper left hand corner of the page, you’ll see a prompt labeled, “Directions,” highlighted in blue. Click on Directions and a drop-down box labeled A will appear. In the drop-down box type, “Club Rd., Pontypool,” and then click on, “Get Directions.” The next map shows where the location of Club Rd is in relationship to High Street, Pontypool. The letter B is pointing to High Street, while the letter A is pointing toward Club Rd. Left-click on the letter A to generate a “Street-view” thumbnail image of the road, then click on the image to enlarge it, and you’ll be dropped off on the Club Rd. You’ll now be able to take a virtual tour of the road. I suspect this is the road where Bryn Iver was situated, which is the address your father listed on the Duchess of York passenger list. Club Road skirts the southern border of Tranch Wood, as you’ll see if you zoom-out on the map.

ELIZABETH S. HARVEY AND CYRIL SAYCE

The following is the GRO marriage index for Elizabeth S. Harvey and Cyril J. Sayce. The index shows their marriage was recorded in the Pontypool Registration District for the March quarter of 1951. Their marriage record can be found in Volume 8c, Page 746 of the GRO registers:

Marriage March Quarter 1951

Elizabeth S Harvey

Cyril J Sayce

Volume: 8c

Page: 746
____

I next found the GRO birth index for Cyril J. Sayce, which shows that his mother’s maiden name was Lewis. Cyril’s birth was recorded in the Pontypool Registration District for the December quarter of 1930. His birth record can be found in Volume 11a, Page 238 of the GRO registers:

Birth December Quarter 1930

Cyril J Sayce

Mother's Maiden Name: Lewis

Page: 238
____

Cyril’s birth record from the GRO will give an exact place of birth for him as well as the full names of her father and mother.

I next wanted to see if I could find the GRO birth indexes at the FreeBMD website for any siblings of Cyril’s. At this point in the research I couldn’t tell if Cyril was the youngest or the oldest child of his parents. But, indications are he was the youngest. He was also the only Sayce whose birth was recorded in Pontypool, as I found the birth indexes of other Sayce children whose mother was a Lewis, and whose births were recorded in either Bridgend, Glamorgan, Wales, or Cardigan, Wales. As you will see the oldest child is Edwin T. Sayce, born in 1913. I didn’t find any birth indexes for children who were born after Cyril in 1930.

The indexes are below:

Birth June Quarter 1913

Edwin T Sayce

Registration District: Bridgend

Page: 1859
____

Birth June Quarter 1914

Gladys L Sayce

Registration District: Cardigan

Volume: 11b

Page: 13
____

Birth September Quaretr 1916

David S Sayce

Page: 1648
____

Birth December Quarter 1919

Samuel L Sayce

Page: 15
____

Birth December Quarter 1923

Arthur Sayce

Page: 9
____

Birth December Quarter 1925

George Sayce

Page: 8
____

I then wanted to see if I could uncover a GRO marriage index for a groom whose surname was Sayce and a bride whose maiden name was Lewis prior to 1913. I found the marriage index for one couple who may have been Cyril and his siblings’ parents. This index shows the marriage of Mary Lewis and David T. Sayce was recorded in the Bridgend Registration District for the March quarter of 1912. Their marriage record can be found in Volume 11a, Page 1001 of the GRO registers:

Marriages March Quarter 1912

Mary Lewis

David T Sayce

Page: 1001
____

Kind Regards Robert,

Dave Boylan
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Robert Harvey 17 Aug 2013 10:44PM GMT 
Merice46 18 Aug 2013 9:10AM GMT 
Robert Harvey 18 Aug 2013 3:57PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 8 Nov 2013 1:07PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions