Search for content in message boards

Child Evacuation 1940's HELP

Replies: 5

Child Evacuation 1940's HELP

Posted: 13 Sep 2013 4:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Sep 2013 3:42AM GMT
Hi my Nanna was just a young girl during the war. She was born Annie Elizabeth Gordon 1935 Gateshead but was living in Birmingham when the war started. She was evacuated to South Wales with her older brother Luke Skelly Gordon who was only three years older than her.

She doesn't remember an awful lot during her time in Wales but she remembers a Mrs. Morgan rescuing her and her brother from their abusive first evacuation home.

She remembers Mrs Morgan being lovely and kind and she already had an evacuee in her care fron London who sadly lost both his parents during the blitz (his sister came to collect him after that)

She remembers people calling Mrs Morgan "Margie" and she remembers Mrs Morgan's husband was called William Morgan and they had a son who was injured during the battle of Britain he was a spit fire pilot (I think that's what they call it) His name was Bertie Morgan.

My Nanna remembers receiving news that Mr. Morgan died not long after she returned home abt 1945/1946 and Mrs Morgan in her letter said it was of a broken heart after having to let the children go back home after loving them as his own for over three years.

My Nanna's thinks her last letter from the Morgan family was about 1960 to let her know Mrs Morgan had passed away.

My Nanna only remembers one piece of Mrs Morgan's home address "21Trybirth Street" My nanna said she can't rememberr spelling of trybirth street but it sounded like turrybirth when people said it but she was in South Wales so she wasn't sure how it would of been spelt.

I was wondering if it is possible to access the evacuation records or maybe my Nanna can send a request to somewhere to access her own records?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
geordiegaviin... 13 Sep 2013 10:44AM GMT 
bromaelor 13 Sep 2013 5:25PM GMT 
geordiegaviin... 14 Sep 2013 9:39AM GMT 
bromaelor 14 Sep 2013 11:21AM GMT 
geordiegaviin... 14 Sep 2013 11:47AM GMT 
bromaelor 14 Sep 2013 4:59PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions