Search for content in message boards

Thomas Phillips (1817 - )

Replies: 11

Re: Thomas Phillips (1817 - )

Posted: 21 Nov 2013 5:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Phillips 1817 Constantine Watkins Joseph Tringham
Dave and Nick,

What a fantastic job you have done Dave. I really appreciate it all. I am now able (when I get the time) to extend the Phillips_Constantine tree further. You seem in a few days been able to move this on.

It took me months of odd moments to get not very far in the pre computer indexed days as you probably know. As to Thomas's father as Benjamin, I have long suspected that. The Directories show Thomas having a Tailor's business in Kington in 1844 but in 1835, the directory shows the same in Market Place as run by Benjamin Phillips. With the name and trade I was beginning to wonder whether we were looking at a Jewish ancestor with different records. There are many Jewish Tailors and a Master Tailor in Savile Row could be a good indication..

Also, yes there was a tradition in the family to use a mother's maiden name for the baby's middle name. My father was Rowland Constantine Phillips. Yes I too am a descendant. Family tradition says that one of the Thomas' was known as Thomas Tringham Phillips. I have never found any links for this. But there is also a tradition that Thomas' first wife died of TB. Nic, you will have to sort out the generation it might be.

Not only did I spend 6 months pursuing Phillips/Watkins but also Phillips/Joseph as marriages - both wrong as it now turns out. With computer indexing these can so soon be discarded. I have a copy of the Phillips/Watkins Marriage Certificate from which I was able to confirm this was wrong.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Nicolas Ivano... 11 Nov 2013 11:13AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 16 Nov 2013 5:51AM GMT 
Nicolas Ivano... 17 Nov 2013 9:58AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 17 Nov 2013 10:21PM GMT 
Nicolas Ivano... 18 Nov 2013 8:58AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 19 Nov 2013 12:00AM GMT 
Nicolas Ivano... 19 Nov 2013 10:55AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 21 Nov 2013 4:30AM GMT 
johnphillips4 22 Nov 2013 12:55AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 30 Nov 2013 8:39PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions