Search for content in message boards

Thomas Phillips (1817 - )

Replies: 11

Re: Thomas Phillips (1817 - )

Posted: 17 Nov 2013 3:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Nick,

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

After receiving your reply I concentrated more heavily on finding more records pertaining to Alfred C. Phillips, the accountant. Earlier, I had missed locating him in the 1891 and 1901 census enumerations for London, but I finally managed to locate him in both census returns.

The 1891 census shows that 35 year old Alfred Phillips is boarding in the household of 39 year old Charlotte Fearn in an address of ( Kenyon ), Streatham, London. I don’t know if the address ( Kenyon ) refers to a block of buildings or flats in the Civil Parish of Streatham, or if it pertains to something else. In any event, the 1891 census shows that Alfred’s occupation is accountant and that he was born in “Kingston,” with no county mentioned. He is shown to be Neither Employer nor Employed, “ and so it appears he hadn’t been working when he filled in the census form.

The Ancestry.com transcription of the census is below:

1891 England Census

Civil Parish: Streatham
Ecclesiastical parish: Holy Trinity
Town: Streatham
County/Island: London

Address: ( Kenyon )

Registration District: Wandsworth
Sub-registration District: Streatham
ED, institution, or vessel: 3

Piece: 454
Folio: 99
Page Number: 38

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Empolyer/Employed/ Neither Employer nor Employed, Where Born

Charlotte Fearn, Head, Single, Female, 39, Living on own means, London
Julia Fearn, Sister, Single, Female, 42, Living on own means, London
Alfred Phillips, Boarder, Single, Male, 35, Accountant, Neither Employer nor Employed, Kingston
Arthur Malins, Boarder, Single, Male, 34, Clerk to?, Employed, ?
Hannah Land, Servt, Single, Female, 49, General Servant, Bristol

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 454; Folio: 99; Page: 38; GSU Roll: 6095564.
____

Below is the 1901 census transcription for Alfred Phillips. This was a little more challenging to find as his age is listed as 28 years old, when in the 1891 census he was 35. This census also shows that he is married to 26 year old Hannah who was born in Newington, London. Alfred’s birthplace is listed as Kington, Hereford. I couldn’t fully make out his occupation, though it notes that he was employed as an accountant and also in the accident insurance trade.

In the household with Alfred and Hannah is their 1 year old son Walter L. Phillips, born Hammersmith. The address of the Phillips household in the 1901 census is 21 Netherwood Road, Hammersmith:

1901 England Census

Civil Parish: Hammersmith
Ecclesiastical parish: St Simon
County/Island: London

Address: 21 Netherwood Rd

Registration District: Fulham
Sub-registration District: South Hammersmith (including Starch Green)
ED, institution, or vessel: 31

Household Schedule Number: 18
Piece: 50
Folio: 103
Page Number: 3

Name, Relation, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Employer/Worker/or Own account, If Working at Home, Where Born

Alfred Phillips, Head, Married, Male, 28, Accountant and Agent for ? and Accident insurance, Own Account, Hereford Kington
Hannah Phillips, Wife, Married, Female, 26, London Newington
Walter L Phillips, Son, Male, 1, London Hammersmith

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 50; Folio: 103; Page: 3.
____

The 1911 census for Alfred and Hannah and their children, which was in my first reply, shows two children in the household. They are 11 year old Leonard Phillips and 7 year old Walter Cecil Phillips. I believe the Leonard Phillips actually pertains to Walter Leonard Phillips who was in the 1901 census.

I found copies of the original baptism records for Walter Leonard Philips and Alfred Cecil Phillips at Ancestry.com’s, “London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906.”

Both children were baptized in the Church of England Parish Church of St. Simon, Hammersmith. Walter was baptized on May 26, 1901. Alfred Cecil was baptized on Oct 25, 1903. At the time of the baptisms the address of the family is 21 Netherwood Road, which is the address of the family in the 1901 census.

But, the baptism record for Alfred Cecil gives additional information that I hadn’t encountered before. This record shows that father Alfred’s middle name was “Coniam.” I had thought it would have been Cecil or maybe Charles.

Transcriptions of the baptism records are below:

Page 18.

BAPTISMS solemnized in the Parish of S. Simon Hammersmith in
the County of London, in the Year One thousand
nine hundred & one

When Baptized: 1901 May 26
No.144
Child's Christian Name: Walter Leonard
Parents Name: Alfred & Hannah Phillips
Abode: 21 Netherwood Road
Quality, Trade, or Profession: Accountant
By whom the Ceremony was performed: R ?

Source Citation: London Metropolitan Archives, Hammersmith St Simon, Register of Baptism, p80/sim, Item 002.
____

Page 30.

BAPTISMS solemnized in the Parish of S. Simon Hammersmith in the
County of London, in the Year One thousand
nine hundred & three

When Baptized: 1903 Oct 25
No.237
Child's Christian Name: Alfred Cecil
Parents Name: Alfred Coniam & Hannah Phillips
Abode: 21 Netherwood Road
Quality, Trade, or Profession: Accountant
By whom the Ceremony was performed: A. J. Chapman

Source Citation: London Metropolitan Archives, Hammersmith St Simon, Register of Baptism, p80/sim, Item 002.
____

I also found the civil birth indexes for Walter Leonard and Alfred Cecil at the FreeBMD website. The indexes show that the births were recorded in the Fulham Registration District, Walter’s in the June quarter of 1899, and Alfred’s in the September quarter of 1903:

Births June Quarter 1899

Walter Leonard Phillips

Volume: 1a

Page: 243
____

Birth September Quarter 1903

Alfred Cecil Phillips

Volume: 1a

Page: 247
____

Portions of Hammersmith had one time been situated in the Fulham Registration District. See the following GenUKI link for confirmation: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/fulham.html

Learning from Alfred Cecil’s baptism record that his father’s middle name was Coniam, I was able to pin down more records pertaining to Alfred Coniam Phillips.

The first record comes from the 1902 London Post Office Directory found at Ancestry.com, showing an address for Alfred of 42 Gray's inn road WC. This likely refers to his business address:

1902 London Post Office Directory

Phillips Alfred Coniam, accountant, 42 Gray's inn road WC

Source Information:

Ancestry.com. U.K., City and County Directories, 1600s-1900s [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010.

Original data: Various UK directories. See title page image of each directory for original source information.
____

I then located Alfred Coniam Phillips in the London, England, Electoral Registers at Ancestry.com. These electoral registers are for the years 1900, 1901, 1903, 1931, and 1932. Alfred’s address in the 1900, 1901, and 1903 Electoral Registers is “21 nether wood road,” Finsbury, Holborn Division.

Hannah Phillips, along with Alfred, is also listed in the Electoral Registers for 1931 and 1932.

In the 1931 and 1932 Electoral Registers, the “abode” of Alfred Coniam Phillips and Hannah Phillips, is listed as 30 Sterndale Road, W.14.

I’ve attached a copy of the 1932 Electoral Register for Alfred and Hannah so that you can take a look at it. They are located on Page 15.

Perhaps with this information you may be able to advance your research concerning Alfred and his family.

Knowing that Alfred’s middle name was Coniam, I looked for the GRO death index for an Alfred Coniam Phillips up to the 1950s, but didn’t find it. It may be a challenge to locate his death record being as he had very common first and last names. In addition, you would need to know where and when he died, to locate his death record.

Because I had never heard of the surname Coniam before, I wanted to see if I could find reference to it in Herefordshire, particularly in Kington. I was surprised doubly when I uncovered an LDS marriage index for a Thomas “Philips” and an Elizabeth Coniam recorded in the Kington, Herefordshire Church of England, on 25 March 1845. Thomas’s father is listed as Benjamin Phillips, while Elizabeth’s father is John Coniam.

The marriage index follows:

Elizabeth Coniam, "England Marriages, 1538–1973 "

Name: Thomas Philipps
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth Coniam
Spouse's Birth Date:
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age:

Event Date: 25 Mar 1845
Event Place: Kington,Hereford,England

Father's Name: Benjamin Philipps Mother's Name:

Spouse's Father's Name: John Coniam Spouse's Mother's Name:

Marital Status:
Previous Wife's Name:

Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Previous Husband's Name:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M13716-3 System Origin: England-ODM Reference ID:

GS Film number: 1041609 = Parish registers for Kington.
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Kington (Herefordshire):
Baptisms, 1924-1951. Burials, 1813-1917. Marriages, 1773-1873.

Citing this Record
"England Marriages, 1538–1973 ," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NK8V-JYL : accessed 17 Nov 2013), Thomas Philipps and Elizabeth Coniam, 25 Mar 1845.
____

The marriage record for Thomas Phillips and Elizabeth Coniam can be found in LDS microfilm number 1041609, which can be ordered from your nearest Family History Center, should you decide someday to explore this Phillips/Coniam line.

I also found the civil marriage index for Thomas Phillips and Elizabeth Coniam at the FreeBMD website, showing their marriage recorded in the Presteign Registration District for the March quarter of 1845. Their marriage record can be found in Volume 26, Page 295 of the GRO registers:

Marriages March 1845

Elizabeth Coniam
Jane Francis
William Harper
Thomas Phillips

Registration District: Presteign

Volume: 26

Page: 295
____

To read an interesting article on the possible derivation of the name Coniam, go to the surname database at the following link: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Coniam

Also Nick, because most of the children of Thomas and Elizabeth Phillips were born in Kington, Herefordshire, you may want to consider looking for their individual baptism records on LDS microfilm, being aware that the children of the other Thomas and Elizabeth Phillips will also have likely been baptized in the Kington Church.

Below are several film numbers from the LDS fir the KIngton Parish CHurch, including the film number noted above in which the marriage of Thomas Philips and Elizabeth Coniam can be found:

Parish registers for Kington, 1667-1957

Authors: Church of England. Parish Church of Kington (Herefordshire) (Main Author)

Notes

Microfilm made of originals (mss. collection in 29 v.) held at the Herefordshire Record Office, Hereford, England.

Hereford Record Office call nos.: AK16/25-29.

Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1667-1729. Family History Library British Film: 1041607 Item 14

Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1729-1812. Baptisms, 1813-1924. Family History Library: British Film 1041608

Baptisms, 1924-1951. Burials, 1813-1917. Marriages, 1773-1873. Family History Library British Film 1041609

Marriages, 1873-1957. Family History Library British Film 1041610 Items 1-4

Banns, 1823-1951. Family History Library British Film 2355828 Items 8 - 12
____

The film number that covers baptisms for the Kington Church of England for the 1840s and 1850s is film number1041608. Baptisms on this film are for the years 1813 to 1924.

Best Wishes Nick, and once again, thank you for your reply.

Dave
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Nicolas Ivano... 11 Nov 2013 11:13AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 16 Nov 2013 5:51AM GMT 
Nicolas Ivano... 17 Nov 2013 9:58AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 17 Nov 2013 10:21PM GMT 
Nicolas Ivano... 18 Nov 2013 8:58AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 19 Nov 2013 12:00AM GMT 
Nicolas Ivano... 19 Nov 2013 10:55AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 21 Nov 2013 4:30AM GMT 
johnphillips4 22 Nov 2013 12:55AM GMT