Search for content in message boards

Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn, Wynnstay

Replies: 5

Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn, Wynnstay

Posted: 5 Mar 2014 5:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wiliams, Williams-Wynn
Dear all

Please can you help. I have tried to research the following myself but to no avail, and am trying to look at this with fresh eyes.

My Grandfather told my Dad on many occassion that we are related to Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn. Unfortunately that is as much detail as we have to date.

I have researched my Grandfather's paternal side where we believe this originates from. The majority of my ancestors appear to be straight forward, their records match one another and they are of working class.

The only strange thing I have discovered is that my Grandfathers mother Elizabeth Ellen Williams was born illegitimate (b.1871 Llanfair PG). Her mother is impossible to trace as she has a common name (Ellen Williams), although I know she would have been pregnant with Elizabeth in the 1871 census. Elizabeth was brought up by her Grandparents, Thomas a house painter and another Elken who appears to be a steo grandmother as Jane Thomas' wife sadly died of tb. I have no idea how Ellen the Step Grandmother came on to the scene as there is no marriage certificate for her or Thomas and as soon as Thomas passes away, she reverts back to the name of Ellen Thomas on his death certificate. Another mystery is the healthy sum that Ellen the step Grandmother leaves in her will. The final piece of the jigsaw is a photograph we have of Elizabeth Ellen taken in around 1873, sat on an older lady's knee, both very well dressed for a working class family.

Please if anyone could help. I have researched this a lot to no avail and am unable to find the Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn (b.1820-1885) in the 1871 census to attempt a match up.
Finally I attempted to attach and image if my Dad alongside this Sir Watkin as the look so alike, however it won't and upload for some reason (I am able to email this if interested) as many think they look alike. Photographs of this Sir Watkin are also on the NPG website, he looks even more like my Grandfather in those.
Many thanks

Rachel Williams
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Rachel Willia... 6 Mar 2014 12:00AM GMT 
bromaelor 10 Mar 2014 1:11PM GMT 
Rachel Willia... 10 Mar 2014 1:56PM GMT 
Rachel Willia... 10 Mar 2014 2:08PM GMT 
Rachel Willia... 10 Mar 2014 2:09PM GMT 
Rachel Willia... 10 Mar 2014 2:20PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions