Search for content in message boards

George Maddocks (1824 Wales - 1884 Toronto)

Replies: 0

George Maddocks (1824 Wales - 1884 Toronto)

Posted: 13 May 2014 10:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Maddock(s)
I have been searching for quite some time now, and am not the only person in my family that has come to a "road block," on my ancestor George Maddocks. I am able to locate a record of his marriage to Catharine Jones in 1845 in Quebec, and this is the first chronological record I'm able to find. According to the 1851 Census of Canada East he resided with his family in Quebec Co., Quebec City and worked as a Saddler and was supposed to be from Wales. He can be found on the 1861 Census of Canada and in the death records from Ontario, as well. I have thus far been unable to find any proof of immigration from Wales or England to Canada. And, as I don't know his parents' names I've been searching for all George Maddocks (Maddock, Maddox, Maddick, etc.) born around that time in Wales or England that doesnt appear to have stayed in Wales/England. I met someone on ancestry that is related through the Maddock(s) line and she told me that a relative had told her that George immigrated with a sibling, name unknown, but that the sibling went on to the States and worked in ceramics. I was able to find a Thomas Maddocks from England that lived in Trenton, NJ in the ceramics business, but when tracing his family back to the 1841 England Census none of his brothers are named George; further searching led me to believe they were not even related as close as cousins so I doubt this connection. If anyone has anything that can help me to find anything beyond George Maddocks I would be greatly appreciative of your assistance.

Find a board about a specific topic