Search for content in message boards

Did you know ANNIE JANE JONES (Hibbott?) Newtown Workhouse 1934?

Replies: 0

Did you know ANNIE JANE JONES (Hibbott?) Newtown Workhouse 1934?

Posted: 22 Aug 2014 11:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello, I am looking for anyone who knew of this brave lady from Newtown in the early 1930's. She had a baby in the Newtown Workhouse in 1934 but was unable to take him with her when she left. Birth certificate says her profession was domestic servant. I have no birthdate or age for Annie.

I did have a 1hr search conducted through Powys Archives who were able to find the baby in the workhouse register but it didn't show more info than the GRO full birth certificate showed, which is where I even got Annie Jane Jone's name from and her occupation. The baby's birth is registered in the Workhouse documents but only to say his name, birthdate and illegitimate.
Baby's middle name is Hibbot (unusual middle name. Thoughts?) and has Annie Jane's surname, Jones. This baby is now my father-in-law.

Powys also didn't have the admissions & discharges for the years 1933-1936. They also could not find his name in the creed registers. Surely he'd have been baptized though, right?
NLW are doing a search for me as well but for Parish Records I have to reach out to the Parish's myself. Any idea how I would search chapel circuits info to see if he was baptized?

Through findmypast.co.uk There are a few Annie Jane Jones' born in Newtown between 1903 and 1912, an age range I think could be accurate. Only one shows the mother's maiden name of Evans. Rest are blank.
One then dies in 1940 (at age 40), another marries someone w/surname Evans. There are a few Hibbots between 1900 and 1915 born Montgomeryshire.

There are a few Annie Jane Jones's in the 1911 census but it's a guess which one she could be.

My father-in-law says he heard a rumour growing up (he was boarded out from the workhouse as a toddler and raised in a family) that he "may have a brother and a sister". There's no proof of this and it could have been a comments made because he was illegitimate. I also did a search to see if her name appears in passengers lists to USA in the 5 years following his birth. No joy.

I really need those admission docs from the Workhouse in hopes it gives her age. I've no idea how else to find anyone related to her.

Many thanks :)

Find a board about a specific topic