Search for content in message boards

MacDonald's in Giant's Grave, Wales late 1700 - early 1800s

Replies: 2

MacDonald's in Giant's Grave, Wales late 1700 - early 1800s

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 2:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: MacDonald
I have been researching my family’s heritage for the last two years using the information obtained from my relatives over the years and am trying to tie up a loose end.

My 2nd Great Grandmother was a woman named Eliza Jane MacDonald. She was born in Giant’s Grave, Briton Ferry, South Wales on 1 Dec 1863. She traveled on the Passenger Ship “Servia” in 1887 with Alfred John Bannister, who was born in Tewkesbury, England on Sep 1865 but also resided in Briton Ferry, South Wales. The two married and settled in Pueblo, Colorado, United States

Eliza’s family was rather large with three brothers and three sisters. Most of them would eventually settle in Colorado, with the exception of two sisters, who remained in England. Their names were:

John Charles (5 Jul 1851 Giant’s Grave, Wales – 8 Feb 1914 Pueblo, Colorado)
Annie Maria (6 Aug 1853 Giant’s Grave, Wales – 28 Sep 1918 Pueblo, Colorado)
Sarah (Jul 1856 Giant’s Grave, Wales – 21 Oct 1943 Giant’s Grave, Wales)
Janet (1859 Giant’s Grave – 11 Jan 1861 Giant’s Grave, Wales)
Alexander (Apr 1866 Giant’s Grave, Wales – 1952 Pueblo, Colorado)
Colin Northy (2 Sep 1868 Giant’s Grave, Wales – 30 Nov 1958 Pueblo, Colorado)

Her parents were John F. MacDonald and Jane Leswell. John was born in Trescastle, Wales in 1825 and passed away in Pueblo, Colorado on 3 Apr 1897. Jane was born in Goldhanger, England on 29 Mar 1828 and passed away in Giant’s Grave on 29 Mar 1883.

The information I have is that John’s father was named Alexander MacDonald and he was born in Culloden, Inverness, Scotland in 1781 and passed away in Giant’s Grave on 7 Mar 1862. He was married at least twice. One wife’s name was Ann Davies and the other Diane Howell. I believe he had a brother and sister. His brother’s name was Alexander Fletcher and he lived his entire life in Giant’s Grave, Wales. His sister’s name was Elizabeth and she was born in Giant’s Grave in 1833.

I am looking to find if there is any verification to Alexander’s birth location in Culloden, Inverness, Scotland and if anyone might know where the MacDonald’s originated from within Scotland.

If there are any MacDonald family members in Brition Ferry, Wales or Culloden, Scotland who might be able to assist me to either validate or disprove where my research, I would be greatly appreciative. I would also be interested in knowing if there are any MacDonald DNA studies overseas that I might join to validate heritage. If there is a match, I would be more than happy to assist with connecting the dots with the MacDonalds within my family here in the United States.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Doug Cooper
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Coop_29 23 Mar 2014 8:29PM GMT 
cascadite 24 Mar 2014 3:27PM GMT 
Coop_29 25 Mar 2014 6:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions