Search for content in message boards

Morgans from Newtown & Llanllwchaiarn

Replies: 2

Re: Morgans from Newtown & - EVAN MORGAN d 1864

Posted: 27 Feb 2014 8:44PM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: Evans, Morgan
I was looking for David Evans b1809-10 Llanllwchaiarn. A friend and distant relative took me to a tiny churchyard in the hills behind Rhydyfelin. It is almost impossible to find this little Wesleyan chapel tucked behind the trees behind a farm in a narrow valley. The chapel's hide hole makes you understand the need for concealment. The chapel is still in use on occasion. The graveyard is steep and small.

I live in Wisconsin. Imagine my surprise. Right next to David Evans 1810 was a memorial stone for Annie, daughter of Evan Morgan and his wife, Jane. I am assuming Jane was a relative of David, but have to confirm.

Back in Wisconsin, I checked the Wisconsin Civil War veterans' records. Evan Morgan joined the regiment in 1862, fought in a Wisconsin regiment and died in hospital in Georgia several months after a major battle in 1864. Annie died within weeks, aged two. My speculation is that they came as a family in about 1862 and Evan was drafted. I do not know what happened to Jane after the two deaths, whether she went back to Wales or not. Eventually, I will track it down.

If this is your relative, I have a photo of the memorial stone for Annie and can send a map.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Alan McKenzie 27 Aug 2003 3:07AM GMT 
zarinnie 28 Feb 2014 3:43AM GMT 
zarinnie 28 Feb 2014 3:44AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic