Search for content in message boards

"Honey Boy" Evans [George Evans]

Replies: 6

"Honey Boy" Evans [George Evans]

Posted: 12 Sep 2010 6:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
My cousin was the American minstrel, George Evans, known as "Honey Boy". The book "The Iron Puddler" refers to him and says he lived near the author [who lived in Tredegar]. He may have lived in Pontypool because an article written about him in an American newspaper said he was born in Pontolyn.. I can't find that listed as a valid town in Wales, so I'm thinking it might be Pontypool which is rather close to Tredegar.

Honey Boy wrote the music for the famous song "In the Good Old Summertime" .... and many others

I'm trying to find out more about George and his family's location in Wales because I have never identified exactly how he is related to us, even though he was recognized as a cousin. I'm trying to figure out if our branch also came from the area of George and his friend, the author, James Davis. Our immigrant ancestor, Richard Evans, was born in Wales sometime between 1650-1669 and died in Maryland in 1703. Some of his descendants [my branch] migrated to PA and then to KY until the lands in OH granted them for Revolutionary Service were safe enough to be settled. My branch then moved to KY and LA.

But where in Wales they ultimately came from remains a stumbling block.

I'm wondering if there are any books in Wales that mention Honey Boy...

Here is one of his quotes: "I often have been asked about my nationality. I am a Welshman. I have a brother named Evan Evans - that's Welsh enough for anybody, I guess."

He was born in 1870 in Wales and died in 1915.
His father, John, was born in 1845 [or 1843] and died around 1905. His mother, Elizabeth, was born in 1852 and died in 1911. A brother, Charles, was born in 1877 and died in 1907. [These dates need to be verified. I'm trying to read off of a photo of the family tombstone. The point is that John, Elizabeth and George and possibly Charles were all born in Wales. So my hope is that someone out there might direct me to more information on these folks.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
RMGHB 13 Sep 2010 12:07AM GMT 
cascadite 14 Sep 2010 10:37AM GMT 
rebornblessed 14 Sep 2010 2:34PM GMT 
raytuck181 20 Sep 2012 4:42PM GMT 
rebornblessed 20 Sep 2012 6:25PM GMT 
rebornblessed 20 Sep 2012 6:40PM GMT 
diane_monks 22 Sep 2012 6:16PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions