Search for content in message boards

Cwmcelyn/Blina small holding

Replies: 2

Cwmcelyn/Blina small holding

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 7:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Feb 2013 7:16AM GMT
Surnames: Griffin
I'm trying to find out the name of the small holding my great grandparents lived in. This is the information my mother has given me. In the mid 1940's she used to catch a bus from Abertillery to Blina and get off at the Queens. She used to walk straight up the side street by the Queens, then onto a slope and up the mountain, there was a big high wall and then there was a row of terrace houses situated on the flat half way up in the middle of nowhere, and she used to carry on past these up the mountain to the first smallholding. Apparently they bought the premises off a coal mine or tin mine or something like that.
My great grandparents were Griffin who moved from Shropshire to Blina between 1912-1914. They were the ones who turned it into a small holding and mum can remember fields being rented out especially to the milkman for his horse. My great grandfather passed away in 1963 and my great uncle moved in but not for long because the property and land was sold to the council for a housing estate. My mother has just recalled that she thinks her father said the premises used to be the weighing room.
I'd like to find out what they called the small holding and what it used to be and maybe I can find a photograph of how it used to be.
I would be very grateful of any help, Thankyou
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
crowvalleyshe... 19 Feb 2013 2:16PM GMT 
robmoff 19 Feb 2013 3:18PM GMT 
crowvalleyshe... 19 Feb 2013 4:47PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions