Search for content in message boards

Update of free Pembrokeshire lookups available

Replies: 60

Re: Update of free Pembrokeshire lookups available - George MORRIS

Posted: 7 Sep 2013 1:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Owen,

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to suggest your research was inaccurate. I can see now that I was looking at things with my 21st century hat on - of course in that era with little available contraception there would have been what now seem to us like late births. It just surprised me a bit. But a lot about Charles Hooper is surprising me, he seems to have been a most intriguing person. And you're so right: there seems to have been a huge amount of moving back and forth between Pembroke Dock and Milford.

He married a woman 15 years older than himself (and I find it interesting that this is a common phenomenon here), there's no record of either of them in Pembrokeshire before 1803 (so they could have come from anywhere), they had four children when she was aged between 41 and 47, then two years after she died he gets engaged to another woman but they never actually get married, then 7 years after that he gets a further 'older' woman pregnant, a widow with 2 young children, and they marry when she must have been highly pregnant, then she has another few children up until her early forties.

What really confuses me from looking on GENUKI for Milford is that Charles Hooper is not listed in Pigot for 1830. It has everyone engaging in commercial activity in the town, but no hairdressers/barbers are listed.

Re: the Sophie Wilcock murder case, thanks for finding out so much about her. I've located an article in a newspaper via Welsh newspapers Online about the case:
http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3329254/ART2...
The Mary Hooper quoted as a witness is Charles Hooper's wife. I imagine this will all have taken place in Back Street, Milford (aka Third Street), which is where Charles and Mary were living in 1841. According to the article it was indeed Elizabeth Wilcock/cox - the crime took place in August 13 and then the burial was August 19, it all fits. The article gives a really vivid account of what life must have been like in those houses in the 1830s; there was only one room in the whole house!

My shared Hooper ancestor was the one who located the info on the Sophia Wilcock murder, and she is also going to get Charles' death cert. in the hope that it might give us more info. Harking back to my initial enquiry about George Morris, my next task is to locate the paperwork relating to his will/death, as you have suggested, to find out why his probate was delayed for 15 years.

I would so love to be able to come to Milford/Pembroke ASAP and do some real research myself, but will have to wait until next year. It's an amazing region full of amazing history.

All the best,

Nicola
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Uebersetzerin 17 Aug 2013 8:03PM GMT 
Orielbenfro 18 Aug 2013 6:58AM GMT 
Uebersetzerin 21 Aug 2013 6:58PM GMT 
Orielbenfro 22 Aug 2013 6:26AM GMT 
Uebersetzerin 25 Aug 2013 1:50PM GMT 
Orielbenfro 26 Aug 2013 8:20PM GMT 
Orielbenfro 27 Aug 2013 2:43PM GMT 
Uebersetzerin 3 Sep 2013 6:58PM GMT 
Orielbenfro 4 Sep 2013 7:01AM GMT 
Uebersetzerin 7 Sep 2013 7:36PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions