Search for content in message boards

DAWKINS of Bosherston and St. Petrox

Replies: 1

Re: Dawkins of Bosherston and St. Petrox

Posted: 10 Sep 2012 8:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dawkins
From my database of Burgess of Pembroke Borough 1678 to 2010, among the many Dawkins from Labourers to Mayors, spread around Pembrokeshires from Castlemartin area over Tenby and upto Wiston I note the following where registered as Burgess for the years noted ;

Ludovic (Ludovicus) Dawkins Corviser 1700, 1704, 1711,

Lewis Dawkins Corviser 1700, 1701, 1702, 1705, 1708, 1709, 1711,

Lewis Dawkins Covriser 1720, 1723, 1727, 1734, 1736, 1737, 1740(Mort)

I am pretty sure Lewis and father Lewis are related to Henry Dawkins a Labourer who was registered burgess yearly from 1678 until his death in 1704.

It is a very long time ago now that I did any real hard research on the Dawkins, but I am pretty sure that at least one descendent of Lewis would be Jonas Dawkins Mayor of Pembroke and Jonas the Schoolmaster of Pwllcrochan. The same family that went on to own Bierspool Farm, the modern Tesco’s site in Paterchurch (Pembroke Dock), Haylett Grange (later a Private School) and Commercial House Department Store in H’west (now flats).
I hadn’t proved it, but it appeared to me that it is lightly that the son of Lewis ~ John Dawkins of Bosheston mrd Mary Lewis 17 Oct 1751 at Stackpole.

Looking at the original register entry it is quite possible but by no means certain that Lewis Dawkins mrd Mary Dawkins 10 Jan 1719 at Bosh, I presume you already have their children that are listed, and his wife who outlived her husband by a good 20+ years.

There are many and tentative associations with the very early Dawkins of Rhoscrowther, Pwllcrochan, Stackpole, Angle, not to mention Pembroke town, in many cases I made the connections between the different parish families, when supplying information in answer to questions I received on the family, but having no connection never really took the time to build a full tree of the Dawkins of Castlemartin Hundred, whom I am convinced are related to the 17th / 18th century North Pembs, Carmarthen & Swansea Dawkins.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Warriors25 10 Sep 2012 10:25PM GMT 
Orielbenfro 11 Sep 2012 2:59AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions