Search for content in message boards

William PRYER hanged in Pembroke in 1770

Replies: 1

Re: William PRYER hanged in Pembroke in 1770

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 12:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Sep 2012 6:47AM GMT
Surnames: Timson,Pryer, Pye,Wogan, Webb, Barrett
There is no reference in the Pembroke Town Accounts or the Borough Minutes to any public hanging in Pembroke town.
There is no reference to the surname Pryer in Crimes and Punishment of Pembrokeshire 1730 to 1830.

I have transcribed the parish registers of Pembroke St Mary, St Michael and Monkton St Nicholas all for 1711 to the 1950’s and there is no reference to the surname around the time of your interest. The town of Pembroke Dock would not come into existence until 1812 and its church would not function until the 1840’s even so there are no public hangings noted in the town.

A Jane Pye was buried in the yard of Pembroke St Mary 24 Jun 1791

Turning to Borough minutes the only item of note mentioned in 1770 is ; 16 Jul 1770 on Page 44 ; Ordered that Thomas Son of Willm Thomas of this Town Servant & Hugh Wogan Son of Wm Wogan of this Town Glover be set out apprentice out of the Money arising from Doctor Joness charity for putting out apprentice poor children of this town.
(Note : The Jones Charity still exists along with the lands and estates from which the money comes.)

From my transcription of the Surviving Borough Accounts, there is no reference to the cost of any hanging listed in the Borough Account Books from 1770 to 1789.
I do note however that the amount of 6 shillings was paid by Council in cash for a new pair of Handcuffs.

It is not until 1778 that there is reference to foul deeds when the Corporation of Pembroke pay 1 shillings for ale to “Constables who where searching for Murderers.” Jurors also received ale at 1 pint per inquest to the extent that 12 jurors each received 6 pints in 1 day for the 6 inquests held thereon.

7th June 1779 cash is paid out for repair of the prison and the addition of 2 new locks to the sum of 12 shillings and 4 pence.
3 Aug 1781 Mr Webb was paid for slates and laths for the repairing of the Jail from May of 1779 which had not been charged on any account, this to the tune of 14 shillings and 3 pence.

1787 sees payment for a messenger with a warrant to F. Timson, Constables to the Ferry, and sundry disbursements for attending the trial at H’west concercerning Geo Blethyn’s shop, the later coming in at a whooping 12 pounds 13 shillings and 5 pence.

Finally the 1st reference we find to the Nbr 3 Public Punishment Stocks is on 25 Mar 1829 when Richard Barrett was paid 4 shillings and 6 pence for improvements.
There was a prison at the top of Bush Hill, in the area of the present Buttermilk Lane, between Pembroke and the then area of the parish of Pembroke St Mary of Paterchurch to which French P.O.W.’s where brought from Fishguard under the command of our own families ancestor, but I have never seen reference to any hangings there. I wonder if the “Pembroke” you refer to is in fact “Pembrokeshire” and the hanging may have taken place at Haverfordwest Gaol.

Sorry, perhaps of some interest but not much assistance.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cherry15 23 Sep 2012 11:55PM GMT 
Orielbenfro 24 Sep 2012 6:16AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions