Search for content in message boards

Cemeteries in Pembrokeshire

Replies: 8

Re: Cemeteries in Pembrokeshire

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 2:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Suzanne

Voters lists are unlikely to contain any useful information. Universal male suffrage in the UK didn't happen until after WW1; before that there were a variety of property requirements so no, it is not a useful source of information for poor people. The area where you should start looking is in the church records for baptisms, marriages and burials for Pembrokeshire, which are the only surviving data prior to 1841. These are held at the County Records Office in Haverfordwest. This office is currently engaged in a change of premises and will not reopen until the end of March. It is possible that the staff in this office would carry out a search for you if you can give them as much information as possible. I have recently been informed by another family historian that Pembrokeshire parish records are now online at Findmypast. I haven't been able to check this since I don't have a subscription to FMP and normally use it when I go to the Haverfordwest office.

Individual parish records vary widely in standards of preservation and legibility. These records apply only to the Anglican churches; if your ancestors were Methodist or Baptist (very common in Pembs) they would have been married in an Anglican church, but baptised and buried in their own non-conformist churches, for which records are not widely available.

Alan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
SuzanneF63 22 Jan 2013 2:22PM GMT 
mi2early 23 Jan 2013 2:09PM GMT 
Alan Brown 5 Feb 2013 12:49AM GMT 
SuzanneF63 5 Feb 2013 4:34AM GMT 
Alan Brown 5 Feb 2013 9:31AM GMT 
Orielbenfro 1 Mar 2013 9:23AM GMT 
SuzanneF63 1 Mar 2013 12:00PM GMT 
theoaky 28 Feb 2013 3:28PM GMT 
SuzanneF63 1 Mar 2013 12:03PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions