Search for content in message boards

Peter Prudden (Peter Pruden)

Replies: 5

Peter Prudden (Peter Pruden)

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 10:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Atherton, Pruden, Prudden, Brunson, Bascome, Forster,
Hi, I have been researching Peter Prudden (Pruden) and I wanted to share the information that I have found with anyone who is searching for information on the same name.

Peter Pruden is mentioned in the will of Jeptha Atherton when it Jeptha leaves all of Peter's estate to his heir Penelope Prudden:
Joseph A. Groves, Alstons and Allstons of North and South Carolina (Atlanta: Franklin Printing & Publishing Co., 1901), pp 532-535] - " In the name of God, Amen. I, Jeptha Atherton, of ye State of North Carolina, Northampton Co.., being in low state of health, but of sound disposing mind and memory, thanks be given unto God for ye same, do make and ordain this my last will and testament, in manner and form following: Item. I give and bequeath to my daughter, Penelope Brunson, one Negro man named Tom, one Negro Wench named Patience, also one named Jude, another named Kitt, and another negro girl named Dinah, one horse by ye name of Hassard, and one Bed and furniture. I also give unto her the profits of a half share of land, lying and being in ye Island of Bermuda, Which land I rented to Mr. Sam'l Bascum in the year 1761, for which I have not received one farthing ye said lands. She being ye true and only heir to the same, being descended from Peter Pruden of the aforesaid Island. Ye aforesaid articles, I give to her and her heirs forever...."

Eoakes on GenWeb (http://www.gencircles.com/users/eoakes/1/print/1397) states that in Will Book 6, p. 66, Peter Prudden was married to a certain Hanna.
"Peter Prudden dated 8 April 1760 and proved 3 Oct 1760 (Will Book 6 p. 66). The abstract reads: mariner, of Paget, wife Hanna, children unnamed. The Executors were John Bascome and "Dr. Samuel Bascome, the witnesses Thomas Vardell, James Rigby, Mary Leger, and Thomas Tucker....""

This matches the Sam'l Bascome mentioned above which Jeptha had not received any money from.

In Julia E Mercer's book, "Bermuda settlers of the 17th century: genealogical notes from Bermuda," pg 60, we read:
"Wills E. Vol. 1. p. 192
Will of THOMAS FORSTER. March 22, 1674.
Wife PENELOPE.
To daughter ANN, negro man Richard. Daughter SARAH. Daughter MIRIM [possibly MIRIAM?] and her husband PETER PRUDDEN to have son's share until he is 21 years old, provided PRUDDEN shall teach him his trade...."

**It is less certain this is truly the Peter Pruden we seek than the other above passages. However, how many Peter Pruden's could there have been in the Bahamas at this time?

It appears the trade of Peter Pruden was sailing. In Virginia Bernhard's book, "Slaves and slaveholders in Bermuda, 1616-1782," (Located: http://books.google.com/books?id=lpv6uT4k47kC&pg=PA188&a...

or the information is at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bmuwgw/ships3.html)

we find that in "1734, the "Mary",a Bermudian-registered vessel, master Peter Pruden, brought 1 Barbados black slave to Virginia."

It is thought that Thomas Tynes married an unknown Prudden although I have found the name Abigail Prudden, who was the daughter of Peter Pruden. (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tmark/Tyne...)

This Abigail or unknown Prudden daughter possibly had a Sarah Tynes supposedly married Jeptha Atherton. I say possibly because I do not have access to the source which is listed on the immediately above webpage as: Catherine L. Knorr, "Marriage Bonds and Minister’s Returns of Southampton County, Virginia, 1750-1810" (Greenville, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1982), page 8.

The daughter would then be Penelope Brunson (she may have married a Dr. Ashael Brunson).

However, where does all of this leave wife Hanna?

If anyone has access to the genealogical records of Bermuda mentioned above or the Marriage Bonds and Minister’s Returns of Southampton County, Virginia, 1750-1810, please let me know so I can continue working on this subject. I hope this has helped some of you fill in some missing pieces.

- David
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
David Wilson 2 Mar 2012 5:20AM GMT 
Clifford_Oche... 19 Nov 2012 8:16PM GMT 
David Wilson 20 Nov 2012 3:36AM GMT 
Clifford_Oche... 20 Nov 2012 7:11AM GMT 
David Wilson 20 Nov 2012 2:17PM GMT 
Clifford_Oche... 20 Nov 2012 5:36PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions