Search for content in message boards

D'Arville, Darville, Knowles, Fox, Cartwright, Burrows

Replies: 2

Re: D'Arville, Darville, Knowles, Fox, Cartwright, Burrows

Posted: 4 Oct 2013 6:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: D'Arville
You are so right about the D'Arvilles. People with this last name appear to be very secretive & elusive.

I'm struck by the fact that you spell the last name with an apostrophe between the D and the A that you capitalize the A like my grandparents did. Have you noticed it's a bit unusual?

Is there any indication your family may be from France?

Although from your message it doesn't appear we would have a close family connection - if at all - maybe there's a distant one.

So here's what I have on my D'Arville roots:

Our family knew my maternal grandfather as Edmond Julius D'Arville. However, his birth certificate says Edmondo Hugo Benato D'Arville, born in NY City 26 Feb 1909.

His father, according to the BC, was Hugo D'Arville. However, I've never seen that first name in connection with him anywhere else.

Also on the BC, it looks like originally someone wrote he was 26 & born in France, but France is crossed out and Italy written. And you can clearly see that his age was changed - looks like from 26 to 20.

In the 1910 US census and 1915 New York State censes, my grandfather and great-grandfather are both listed as Edmond D'Arville. On 1910's census Edmond (Hugo) is 26, he is born in France, arrived in the US in 1900, works as a ship steward (although out of work at the time) and is an alien. But 5 years later, according to the 1915 NY census, he is 28, born in France, occupation steward, and an alien, in the US only 1 year. Go figure.

I can find no other records on him.

He was dead by 1925, as my GG Marion Galloway D'Arville is listed as a widow on the 1925 NY state census. She died 2 years later.

I can find nothing of them in the 1920 federal census.

For 15 years, I've been trying to find out more about the D'Arvilles with no luck, so I feel your pain.

I have a few things in my shoebox which MIGHT be relevant if I could link Hugo/Edmond back to France with some parent's names. I'd be happy to share them with you if you are interested.

Hopefully some of the above information is helpful to you.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CarrieLD4 29 May 2013 4:08AM GMT 
Agneth32 20 Jun 2013 9:49AM GMT 
marybeth5025 4 Oct 2013 12:24PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions