Search for content in message boards

NEWBALL

Replies: 45

Re: Frank NEWBALL

Posted: 26 Jun 2011 1:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jun 2011 6:02AM GMT
Surnames: Newball
I can't help but notice that descendents of your father's siblings are quite interested in their genealogy. My father had to have known your father. Among others, he mentioned Paulson Newball and Willoby Newball, as his uncle Lemuel's grandchildren. These two as you know, were your uncles.
I never met your father, but we have something in common. His granfather Lemuel Newball and my granfather William Timothy Newball, b/k/a as Captain Tim, were brothers, two of the six children of four boys and two girls of Michael Newball and Esther Davidson.
Michael Newball, was one of the six children of five boys and one girl of William Newball, an English planter and his wife Elizabeth Britton, a daughter of planter Thomas Britton. The elder Newball is said to have had two ouside children, boys, with two other women. Circumstantial evidence, appears to indicate that these women may have been african.
Esther Davidson, was the daughter of James Davidson, described as a lay preacher and planter. Her mother, Eulet Bartley was black. Some years ago, through Providencia, oral story, I found out that Eulet, was a bonafide african, brought to the island as a captive child along with her mother and freed at an early age. No word of why she was freed, or what happened to her mother. Hard to research without mannumition documents, but now i tentavily believe I know what happened.
When James Davidson left Providencia, he left an inheritance for his daughter, but it was lost.The story became part of island folklore. I will send you a copy of what I have researched on that subject.
On your grandmother's side there are Downs, Archbold and of course, Newball.
The Downs, are said to have started as Irish in the Corn Islands, a mere 60 miles from San Andres and Providencia. In the 1800's the Atlantic coast of Nicaragua then known as Miskito Coast and the archipielago of San Andres and Providencia, were natural trading partners, the flow of goods and people went in both directions. Today, there are still Downs descendents in the Corn Islands.
She is a great great grandaughter of Scottish Captain Francis Archbold, the first Archbold on the island, through her paternal grandmother, Sarah Archbold.
The most common surname on the island is Archbold, followed by Newball, yet all these pockets of Newballs were considered as different families, unrelated to each other. I was always perplexed by that. In my view, many of the oldtimers, bore a family resemblance down to their often grey eyes, but they were not considered to be related. My grandfather whom I did not meet was born in 1860, and he was only aware of one of his father's sibllings, John Newball. I suspect that there must have been a big rift sometime in the first half of the 1800's. All Newballs in the achipielago hav a common ancestor. Chelita was a great grandaughter of William Newball.
There are ancestors whose names will not appear in history books, because they were not known or considered important. Their stories will not pass into local folklore, because they were not told even in private, or if they did, they got lost along the way, but they are an integral part of island fabric. Well into the 20th century, there were still a substantial number of people on the island described as "whites" and "clear." There was a local saying, and some of these folks would also state it. "Everybody in Providence has some black in them." How true.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rmn486 10 Jun 2012 1:39AM GMT 
geronimo07 15 Dec 2012 7:15AM GMT 
apanamathing 10 May 2011 2:55PM GMT 
geronimo07 26 Jun 2011 7:12PM GMT 
nycbarbi 16 Mar 2012 5:34PM GMT 
mentay 6 Apr 2012 8:39AM GMT 
mentay 6 Apr 2012 2:34PM GMT 
chelitanewbal... 23 May 2012 4:22PM GMT 
rmn486 10 Jun 2012 1:48AM GMT 
geronimo07 24 Jan 2013 7:02PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions