Search for content in message boards

Bermuda & St.Eustatius & Turks Island - Spencer connection

Replies: 0

Bermuda & St.Eustatius & Turks Island - Spencer connection

Posted: 21 Apr 2013 9:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Apr 2013 10:36AM GMT
Surnames: Spencer, Adams, Graisbury, Eve
Hi, I'm researching my ancestors who married and died in Turks Island. My ancestors were: Ethelbert Richard SPENCER & Ophelia Hamilton ADAMS - married 1867 in Turks Island.

I've been told that Ethelbert's father was a sea Capt. by the name of NICHOLAS SPENCER who was killed on his own ship - see account below:

"MELANHOLY OCCURRENCE
By the Dominican sloop Hermiona, from Port Platta, news reached here on Saturday last of the Death of Captain Nicholas Spencer of the Schr. "John Russell", owned here a few months ago, but now belonging to a Mercantile house in Porto Platta. The accounts are as yet uncertain, but no doubt can exist that Capt. S. ha met his end in a most dreadful form. He was found on the morning of Wednesday the 7th inst. if we mistake not, lying on the deck of his vessel with his throat cut, and quite dead, having a razor in his open hand. captain Spencer had just arrived at Porta Plata from St. Thomas: - while at St. Thomas he was very sick of a fever, and was hardly expected to live: but he rallied and was enabled to take his vessel to her owners. As yet, there is no way of ascertaining the cause of his death. Captain S. leaves a widow and a large family of little children to mourn their loss, - and it is needless for us to add, they have the sympathy of the whole community. Capt. S was a native of Bermuda but married here. - Turks Islands Gazette April 21, 1852."

I'm now trying to find the sea captains his widow, believed to possibly be "Adelaide SPENCER nee GRAISBURY". Who married a second time to William Cornelius EVE aka Billy Eve of Turks Island abt. 1845.
I've read in a book recently that the Spencer line could have lived in St. Eustatius.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions