Search for content in message boards

Noel Henriquez

Replies: 13

Re: Noel Henriquez

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 10:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
So I did end up stopping by the Schwarzman Research Library on a week day last week, which btw has some amazing architecture. I know know tourist from around the world probably place this Library in their itinarary, as streams people from all different walks of life walked in and out. Now I had mistakenly thought that the library closed at 11pm, but must have confused the operating hours I saw online with another library (most like the neigboring Mid-Manhattan Library branch). By the time I got my card and got settled down with the books, it was probably around 6:30pm. But my research had to cut to an unexpected stop, when they shut down the lights at 7:45pm.

As far as the Familias Dominicanas Collection is concerned; I returned and spent most of the day Saturday continuing my research, and was able to scan thru 6 out the 7 volumes of genealogical records (in addition to other Dominican genealogical resources available), which btw are very exhaustive and worthwhile, with records spanning between the 16th and 19th centures. I however didn't have any luck in finding an ancestor. My guess is that the records contained in these volumes concentrated on residents living in the capital region of Santo Domingo. And since practically all of my ancestors lived in the Cibao (at least as early as the beginning of the 19th century), I'm basically out of luck as far as Familias Dominicanas is concerned. The only downside I find these records is that they rarely contain any specific location. Volume 37-42, which covers the surnames beginning with the letters D-G, is the volume that appears to missing since sometime in Feb-13. I guess maybe a comprade of our might have accidently walked out with it, lol. A librarian I spoke with was able to locate another copy of this volume in NYU and Columbia Universities and granted me a 2-wk pass to thier libraries so I can get access to the missing volume.

Another notewothly selection would probably be Mas Familias Dominicanas - Ana Concepcion, which essentially briefly records the probable names of the first couple with specific surname to settle in a specific town (sorted by surname). This work essentially could be used as a quick referece and secondary source to Familias Dominicanas which it practically feeds off of.

I'm planning to return to the library once again on Saturday and finish looking at a couple of other resources. Btw in the libraries' first floor at least; there's a room dedicated specifically dedically to genealogical research which also provides free access to Ancestry.com records which is also convenient.

If your interested in pursuing in-depth historical/genealogical research, the Schwarzman Library is the place to be.

Thanks again!

Hasta luego...
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jacques285 15 Apr 2013 6:25PM GMT 
Cibaeño 16 Apr 2013 4:25PM GMT 
Jacques285 16 Apr 2013 6:34PM GMT 
Cibaeño 23 Apr 2013 4:59PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions