Scotch-Irish on St. Croix

Replies: 38

Re: Eliza WOODS?

Diane Ingino (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2002 4:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: COAKLEY, ERICKSEN, WOODS, GARNIER, MONSANTO
Hi Cindy,
When you mentioned the name COAKLEY, I recalled that I had come across it in my research. I have a copy of the 1860 Christiansted census for 24 Kings Cross (property owned by Anthony GARNIER), which has an Eliza COAKLEY, age 50, living there. She was Episcopal, unmarried, and worked as a Washer. I wonder if this was the Eliza WOODS you mentioned. If she was his third wife, it may not have been a legal marriage but perhaps she used his name. The ages are not too far off from each other - she could have been a little bit younger than he.

Eliza COAKLEY lived there with a Margarett IVERSEN/JENSEN (hard to read surname), age 45, Lutheran, unmarried, washer. Several other individuals lived in the same household, and were much younger: Mary ISAAC, age 22, Episcopal, Married, a peddler; Rebecca COOPER, age 19, Episcopal, Unmarried, a houseservant; Susana COOPER, age 14, Episcopal, Unmarried, a house servant; Jens ERICKSEN, age 7, Lutheran; Carl ERICKSEN, age 4, Lutheran; Arek ERICKSEN, age 1 1/2, Lutheran.

I have a Jens ERICKSEN in my family and this one is at about the right age (his daughter Wilhelmina ERICKSEN was born in 1876, which would make this Jens 23 at the time of her birth). I've never been able to establish whether or not the Jens ERICKSEN in the 1860 census is my ancestor or not. This household had such a mix of surnames, I can't figure it out. It is clearly one household, but who knows if they were all related to each other. I wonder if you've heard any of these surnames mentioned in connection with your COAKLEYs.

Anyone with some feedback regarding the data in this particular census entry, please share your thoughts! By the way, the census taker's name was A. M. MONSANTO.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
AoifeFitzGera... 14 Jul 2002 1:50PM GMT 
NormaMeier42 14 Jul 2002 7:06PM GMT 
bealbert 7 Oct 2002 3:14PM GMT 
NormaMeier33 9 Oct 2002 12:52AM GMT 
ewhodges2 3 Nov 2002 5:03AM GMT 
bealbert 6 Nov 2002 1:45PM GMT 
Diane Ingino 4 Nov 2002 11:36PM GMT 
bealbert 6 Nov 2002 1:54PM GMT 
Helen Tarvin 4 Jul 2005 2:07AM GMT 
dsmothe11 17 Jul 2002 1:16AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions