Ruan family pedigree? Please help.

Replies: 4

Ruan family pedigree? Please help.

Posted: 7 Mar 2002 10:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Nov 2004 2:59PM GMT
Surnames: RUAN, SMITH, RICHARDSON, BARNES, HEYLIGER,
Greetings,
My name is Jason Carpenter and I have searched among this board. While doing so I have read with great interest the wealth of information contained within the postings of its members. I have remembered times of mine on St.Croix like helping Mrs. Lawaetz with identification of surveyors markers along the ridges of the rian forest and walking face first into a jack spaniel nest. I worked for Fletcher at the LEAP shop and fondly recall his antics while a tourbus of little old ladies had just arrived for a tour of the shop. I would lead them around giving the usual talk while fletcher could be seen bathing out bach from a 50 gallon drum of rain water. He was some character.
My query pertains to the Ruan family of the Western Quarter. They seem to be married into the Smith and Richardson families as well as with a family of the Heyliger family. In 1754 John Ruan is mentioned as owner of the Eastern half part of estate No. 19 in the west quarter of St. Croix called Two Brothers, today the mill is used by Addison Construction. I believe this mill that was also a night club for many years is the old Two Brothers horse mill. As one enters F'sted there is a housing complex called Estate Two Brothers. this would correspond with the maps showing the estate boundaries of 1796. John Ruan is also shown as planter of No. 19 in 1766, with Thom Amith. No. 19 is shown owned by William Ruan earlier, he was a planter on St. Croix 30th of June 1737 he died c. 1745. his wife was Susanne. she later married in 1746 Daniel Smith. John Ruan was born 1745 at No 19.
John Ruan married Rebecca Richardson 25th Sept. 1766 "at Mr. Richards, East End (St. John's Register)"
childer on this marriage are said to be:
William Ruan, b. 1768,Planter, Hannah's Rest, No 6 West End Quarter
m. Elizabeth Heyliger, dau. of William Heyliger and Susannah Smith.
she was born c.1776, he died c. 1836.
John Ruan b. 1771, Doctor of Philadelphia, my line, I have much regarding him.
James Ruan, b. Oct. 3 1773, Planter, estate hannah's Rest
d. 26 march 1833. bur. St. Paul's Churchyard, F'sted.
m. Mary Ann Heyliger, (sister of Elizabeth). bur. St. Paul's also.

Plantage No 19 was owned by Wm. Ruan, then Jan/John Ruan with Thom Smith. By 1784 it was owned by Wm heyliger and Wm Smith and in 1790 was called "Two Williams"

can anyone elaborate for me on these people or the estates?

James' children are: William Heyliger Ruan, Dr. and Botanist of St. Croix.
John, James and Mary Heyliger Ruan, who owned estate "Canegarden" in Prince's Quarter. Wm Richardson is there also from an estate he purchased of a John Smith.

regards,
Jason
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JnLnJack 7 Mar 2002 5:38PM GMT 
Susan J. McKee 7 Mar 2002 9:04PM GMT 
rickimm 6 Apr 2002 3:59PM GMT 
dmcab1955 24 Oct 2007 9:14PM GMT 
montana214 28 Feb 2013 9:14PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions