Search for content in message boards

Kreinecker and Feiler in Vienna and Poppendorf - a family mystery

Replies: 3

Kreinecker and Feiler in Vienna and Poppendorf - a family mystery

Posted: 21 Feb 2011 1:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kreinecker, Feiler, variants
My husband's grandmother (Maria Feiler) is a genealogical mystery. She told my husband's sister that she was an orphan, raised in Vienna overlooking St. Stephan's square, and that her father was a "count of no account". She came to America when she was 12 to live in Milwaukee with aunt and uncle Maria (Feiler)and Samuel Trimmell, of Poppendorf. She and her husband sent money to Poppendorf to Josef Feiler and also to Cecilia Schwartz (who later married a Feiler).

She also had siblings named Kreinecker, who came to America and listed her and her husband as sister and b.i.l.

My sister-in-law recently discovered a note written in her aunt's hand (Maria's daughter) which said the following:

"Mother died while infant. Brought up by family name of Joseph and Mary Feiller. While with them and after used the name of Feiller until marriage."

This implies several things to me. First, Joseph and Mary Feiller were not blood relatives (it didn't say "cousins", or "aunt and uncle" it said "family name of". Second, she had to have been brought up in her father's household, assuming the Kreineckers share a common father with her. She was not sent to an orphanage upon her mother's death: she grew up in Vienna overlooking St. Stephan's square. Further, she knew who her father was, and knew her siblings, and they acknowledged the relationship. Lastly, and most confusingly, we have found Joseph and Mary Feiler, but they were only 12 when she was born, and surely not married, much less raising someone else's child.

Does anyone have any idea where I can find clues to this mystery? I have been unable to find any Kreineckers in Vienna (although a few live now in Eferding). Joseph and Mary list Poppendorf as their home town, as does my husband's grandmother when she immigrated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nancy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
nancybreitfel... 21 Feb 2011 8:11PM GMT 
rebholzgary 19 Jan 2013 12:56AM GMT 
fritzkoe 13 Feb 2013 3:51AM GMT 
nancybreitfel... 13 Feb 2013 9:09PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions