Search for content in message boards

Illegitimate daughter name change from ZOTTER to PERSCHY

Replies: 8

Re: Illegitimate daughter name change from ZOTTER to PERSCHY

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 12:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Fritz,

Without a doubt the Theresia Zotter who was born out-of-wedlock in 1863, was the same person who, as Theresia Perschy, married in 1893. I’ve looked at all the Zotter and Perschy births, marriages and deaths up to 1875 in the Sankt Martin records filmed by the LDS, and I can come to no other conclusion. I can’t take credit for coming to this conclusion on my own. I just verified excellent work that was already done several years ago by Burgenland Bunch member Katrina Lehrner. She catalogued hundreds of Sankt Martin records while building her genealogy. The BB has a link to her site (but it has been inactive for years): http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/l/e/h/Albert-B-Le....

I was dubious about the connection of the Maria Zotter who had three illegitimate births in Neumarkt house 32 to the Maria Zotter who was living in Neumarkt house 51 when she married János Perschy. Only after searching the LDS films on my own did I come to agree with that connection. One method I used was to list the illegitimate births of all Maria Zotters from 1860 to 1870. There were eleven, at eight different addresses. (Maria Zotter is the most common name in those Sankt Martin records.)

My gg-grandmother had three out-of-wedlock births in house 32, Maria, (born 1821 Feb 1862, died 11 March 1862), Theresia (born 21 July 1863, married 21 November 1893 as Theresia Perschy) and Maria(born Apr 1865, died 2 Sept 1866).

János Perschy was not that young, 29 when he married. I have no idea why Maria Zotter and János Perschy did not marry until 1868. Their marriage on 23 April 23 1868 is unique because it was one of four weddings on that day in the Sankt Martin church. Perhaps the priest collected couples in need of marriage. I can tell you just three months after they married Maria and János had the first of their six children born in house 80.

I thought maybe János Perschy married Maria Zotter only after he had inherited Neumarkt house 80. But the father of János Perschy, Franciscus Perschy, (who was the owner of house 80 in the 1858 houselist) had died on 21 June 1866. János did not marry until almost two years later. I have no idea why János Perschy waited so long to marry, but I’m glad he did – my grandmother was the fifth legitimate birth to János and Maria.

Thank you for the advice to check the original parish record for later notations. I see Katrina Lehrner still has an email address listed with her membership in the BB, so I’ll try an email to her first.

When people with Burgenland ancestors work on their genealogy, their path is helped so much by people like you. Thank you.

Richard
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
RichardPotetz 18 Jan 2013 4:20PM GMT 
Mohnbauer 18 Jan 2013 9:17PM GMT 
RichardPotetz 19 Jan 2013 2:00PM GMT 
fritzkoe 6 Feb 2013 4:05AM GMT 
RichardPotetz 8 Feb 2013 7:11PM GMT 
katusz 12 Apr 2013 2:00PM GMT 
RichardPotetz 18 Apr 2013 4:08PM GMT 
katusz 11 Nov 2013 3:58AM GMT 
RichardPotetz 11 Nov 2013 2:01PM GMT 
per page