Search for content in message boards

Hutterites

Replies: 33

Re: HUTTERITES

Posted: 21 Jun 2002 9:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wurtz, Hofer, Kleinsasser, Tschetter, Janzen, Wipf, Tittel, Pullman, Glanzer, Wollman, Stahl, etc.
I am curious as to where you got your information. It certainly doesn't "jive" with the history I have read and heard from the Hutterites themselves. Also, the Kleinsasser House in Russia is still there and the ancestors are far from being remenents.
Most people with the last names mentioned came to America to avoid fighting for the Queen. They were never forced to leave and banned together to come over, then were given the choice of owning their own land (Homestead Act), or joining with the Hutterite Colonies still in existence all the way from Tx. into Canada. There are colonies on the East cost too. Most are decendents of one family with that family name.
I married into the family and was really curious about them. Have been doing an ongoing research and geneology about for my family.
Norman Hofer in Freeman, SD. is a noted speaker on the Hutteries and German people here. He has been abroad several times visiting old home sites and is only a part of the geneology group there in Freeman, SD. I think he would be happy to help you as much as he can.
When the Hutterites came to America in 1874-79 those going into colonies made three colonies. Those choosing not to go into colonies made three churches in the Freeman area. Mr. Hofer has procured the old church records of all three of these churches, the immigration ship lists are in "History of Hutterite Mennonites", and the colonies have all the records from Russia (many in "Hutterite Roots") and earlier.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
evans1944 29 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
sam dodd 30 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Mohnbauer 7 Jun 2012 11:37AM GMT 
yankleny 22 Jun 2002 3:00AM GMT 
Jude 26 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Jude 9 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT 
E_Zacharias 21 Apr 2002 9:11PM GMT 
E_Zacharias 24 Apr 2002 12:45AM GMT 
KAREN_TIESZEN 27 May 2012 3:04AM GMT 
KAREN_TIESZEN 27 May 2012 3:29AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions