Search for content in message boards

Feistritz an der Gail Cemetery info

Replies: 58

Re: Feistritz an der Gail Cemetery info

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 12:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Schnabl, Kuglitsch, Andritsch, Wucherer, Wiegele, Millonig
Are you aware of the existence of a study about a decade ago by two professors at the University of California-Irvine? They studied the intermarriages since around the early 1500s of people living in Feistritz and Achomitz. Of the twelve major surnames mentioned--mine was one of them.

Anyway, some of those twelve also entered Milwaukee around 1900. My grandfather Valentin came as a teenager in 1898. His wife, whom he met later in the US, was an Andritsch. There were Andritsches buried in Feistritz. However, Andritsch was not one of the twelve surnames mentioned in the study.

A couple that I can remember were Kuglitsch and Millonig. A Millonig married the daughter of a sister of my grandmother. So, it appears some of the intermarriages that went on for nearly 500 years in the Gailthal was still going on in Milwaukee...

One elderly business associate of my elderly uncle is a Wiegele in Detroit. That relatively rare surname was another of the 12, and that family runs the ski jump at Achomitz that was built about fifty years ago by the Schnabls and the Wiegeles and a few others. My cousin--Karl Schnabl--lived in Achomitz and was the world champion ski jumper for a time in the middle 1970s and won Bronze and Gold Olympic medals at the 1976 Winter Games in Innsbruck.

I do not seem to know any Wucherers anywhere, though. My grandparents purchased a small amount of land and ran a truck farm near what is 42nd & Capitol Drive in Milwaukee before it was in the city limits. BTW, what was left of that is now owned by the last surviving starting defensive lineman of the first two Super Bowl Green Bay Packers--Willie Davis.

Gary
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
wucherer 3 Feb 2010 5:20AM GMT 
Petejean1 6 Nov 2003 7:07AM GMT 
Wendy Wallner 5 Mar 2004 1:32AM GMT 
Peter Wallner 5 Mar 2004 8:26PM GMT 
Megan_McEntir... 25 Jan 2013 3:56AM GMT 
Moser 5 Mar 2003 12:44AM GMT 
Gary_Schnabl 23 Dec 2007 2:29AM GMT 
wucherer 22 Mar 2008 5:50AM GMT 
Gary_Schnabl 22 Mar 2008 6:42AM GMT 
maksj 22 Jan 2010 11:38AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions