Search for content in message boards

Education of children

Replies: 1

Education of children

Posted: 1 Jun 2014 1:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for background information on how children were educated in Austria in the mid 1800s. My great great grandfather, Ferdinand Fuchs, was born in Jaudling, Austria in 1857, and he and his family immigrated to America in 1867. In the book The Past and Present of Platte County, written in (I think) 1902, there is a short biography of Ferdinand. In it, it says he "acquired his education in the schools of Germany." His father was a cloth weaver in Austria, and after the immigration his father worked odd jobs until he could afford to buy land to farm, which he did in Nebraska in 1873. My question is, were children routinely sent away to school during that time? The family was not wealthy. I know Jaudling is a tiny little town, maybe they didn't have schools? I do know Ferdinand's mother died shortly before his first birthday, but the father remarried a year later, and more children were born, so it's not like there was no one to take care of him. And all accounts I have of him say he saw is step mother as his mother she was loving towards him, so it's not like she would have wanted to send him away. Anyway, I'm having trouble finding any information about day to day life and customs for that time, so any help or resources would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
allisonyount1... 1 Jun 2014 7:47AM GMT 
most123 1 Jun 2014 11:38AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions