Search for content in message boards

Gollob, Golob, Gollub from Steiermark, Styria, Austria ANYONE?

Replies: 12

Gollob, Golob, Gollub from Steiermark, Styria, Austria ANYONE?

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 9:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gollob, Golob, Gollub, Cok, Potye, Potje
Hello All:

I am looking for any of my family from Styria (Steiermark) Austria. My great-grandmother was Olympia Barbara Gollob. The only real paper thread I have from her and her family is a photo of a place called "Annahof, Styria" where she was born (I don't know exactly where, Annahof is a large house of some type). She was born in December 1878, and from what I can see through her family pictures (w/no names!) is that she is the oldest in her family, with a younger sister (Amanda) and several much younger siblings (no names!). I do know that her mother's name was Barbara, but that is where the history stops (no father's name, but plenty of awesome pictures of him in Austrian either Military or Aristocratic Regalia. The family is Roman-Catholic. Olympia married my great-grandfather Frigyes (Friedrich, Fred) Potye (Potje) and emigrated to Philadelphia thru NY and Ellis Island with her oldest child, Kitty (born in Budapest) in 1905 to join Frigyes, who had sailed ahead of her to set up home several months previous. Once settled in Philadelphia, she worked as a seamstress and had three more daughters, Mary, Margaret (my Grandmom), and Betty (Elizabeth).

Olympia spoke EIGHT languages (as most in that area must have then). Her first and primary language was German. I do know that some of her family eventually moved to Trieste (now Italy, once part of Austria/Yugoslavia). I believe one of her sisters married into the name Cok, and her family mostly resides still in Trieste,

I know through my research that all Gollob/Golob/Gollubs come from the area that my great-grandmother is from (unless from Poland, and that is fromt the town of Golub). Golob means "dove" or "peaceful person" in German (I think!), and the family crest that I found is of a maiden holding a dove. If ANYONE has ANY information on this section of my family, I would so appreciate a reply! I have pictures that I would love to post to my family tree, if I only had more info to put with them!

Thank you!
Jennifer Wagner
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jenniferswagn... 30 Jan 2011 4:42AM GMT 
Mohnbauer 30 Jan 2011 7:44PM GMT 
jenniferswagn... 30 Jan 2011 11:12PM GMT 
halpark 31 Jan 2011 7:47PM GMT 
jenniferswagn... 16 Feb 2011 7:06PM GMT 
Mohnbauer 16 Feb 2011 10:05PM GMT 
jenniferswagn... 17 Feb 2011 1:10AM GMT 
boris_kaluder... 31 May 2013 11:03AM GMT 
jenniferswagn... 31 May 2013 12:25PM GMT 
fritzkoe 6 Jun 2013 2:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions