Search for content in message boards

Displaced Persons Camps in Kufstein, Austria

Replies: 14

Re: Displaced Persons Camps in Kufstein, Austria

Posted: 14 Jun 2012 8:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
yugaya and halpark:
Thank-you so much for the information!!! I cannot wait to check out the links you’ve given me! You’ve given me so much to think about and different leads to take off on!

Mohnbauer:
I’m finding the information just as confusing as you are. Here is bit more information.

She is Polish..born in Poland..however, her maiden name is Romaneck (which is Ukrainian).

He was a born and raised Serbian with strong ties to his country before, during and most definitely after the war!

They were married in Kufstein and had their children in 1945, 1949 and 1951 in Kufstein. The story is that she was in a concentration camp. She had to make ammunition for the Nazi’s. She wasn’t treated well at all. He kept trying to escape and was shot, had his leg broken…he was not treated well either. Some of his family escaped though. There is NO mention of them being Jewish or ties to them that I can find (such as names or places of birth). It is something that I am keeping an open mind about though.

When you take into account the Austrian/Serbian conflicts throughout history AND how the Polish people were treated during WWII I am confused as to how/why they ended up alive, married, and with a family…all in Austria? The war ended in 1945…that means she was pregnant during the war. I just don’t understand why they were there.

He eventually came to Canada in 1951 and she and her children came over in 1952.

I have contacted a family member living in a city near me and we are going to get together very soon. I’m hoping she can shed some light on many of the questions that are unanswered! I’ll definitely post any new information she gives me regarding the Kufstein camp!!

Thank-you so much everyone…I really appreciate the help!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CharleneMarko... 7 Jun 2012 6:04PM GMT 
yugaya 8 Jun 2012 6:26AM GMT 
Mohnbauer 8 Jun 2012 5:57PM GMT 
halpark 13 Jun 2012 6:00PM GMT 
CharleneMarko... 14 Jun 2012 2:53PM GMT 
Mohnbauer 14 Jun 2012 3:42PM GMT 
Mohnbauer 14 Jun 2012 4:04PM GMT 
Mohnbauer 14 Jun 2012 5:09PM GMT 
halpark 14 Jun 2012 5:13PM GMT 
CharleneMarko... 14 Jun 2012 5:22PM GMT 
per page