Search for content in message boards

Bondy

Replies: 34

Re: Bondy

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 3:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
You do have a problem because at the time Charles entered the country there was no comprehensive recording of aliens entering the country. He could have returned to Austria in 1914 when anti-German/Austrian feeling was very high, but I think I would dismiss that - with an English wife and nine children? My suggestion of trying to trace some/any of the children's marriages is because it might pin down that Charles was "deceased" on mc, or indicate a place where they were living so you could go to electoral rolls, trade directories, general directories etc. There is one other thought dependent on when he died., have you looked at naturlisation records? He would have been about 65 at the outbreak of WW2 and if he was not naturalised I think he would have had to register as an "enemy alien" I suppose the basic idea was sound but this ended up being a bit of a farce - because it included many poor souls who were actually refugees from the Nazis. They were all sent to the Isle of Man (the famous Amadeus Quartet was formed there by four professional musician refugee aliens!) and obviously there are complete lists. Long shot, but if he died there presumably that would also be recorded. It does not explain Florence though. Have you looked at ancestorsonboard? They might have moved on elsewhere? If I think of anything else |I'll come back.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
nelsonelaine5 2 Oct 2012 12:14AM GMT 
Mohnbauer 2 Oct 2012 3:24PM GMT 
nelsonelaine5 3 Oct 2012 8:42AM GMT 
halpark 2 Oct 2012 10:26PM GMT 
halpark 2 Oct 2012 11:24PM GMT 
nelsonelaine5 3 Oct 2012 8:41AM GMT 
halpark 3 Oct 2012 9:19AM GMT 
Mohnbauer 3 Oct 2012 10:52AM GMT 
Mohnbauer 3 Oct 2012 11:08AM GMT 
Mohnbauer 3 Oct 2012 11:28AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions