Search for content in message boards

Bondy

Replies: 34

Re: Bondy

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 7:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Elaine

I am a decendant of Louisa Florence Brown (nee Fielding). My side of the family had no knowledge of Charles Bondy and the children from that marriage until about 2 years ago when my cousin researched our geneology and found out about Grannie's (thats how she was known to us) earlier history.

We were unable to discover what had happened to Charles Bondy so I am grateful for the information about the Isle of Man. But I can tell you about my grandmother. All the time I was growing up, our knowledge was that she had moved to Scotland, specifically Dunfirmline so that my grandfather Harry Brown could work in the Dockyard at Rosyth. That was in 1915. She had 3 children, Constance born in 1914, Margaret died and buried in Dunfirmline and Frederick born 1918, my father.

It seems that the move to Scotland was a good attempt to disappear and start a new life. We don't know the exact circumstances but with her husband locked up in an internment camp and 9 children to care for, she made a decision that is hard to think about for us. I make no judgement, not knowing her full situation, but we believe that as Constance (my aunt Connie) was born in 1914, it is likely that Charles Bondy was the father and she was taken to Scotland by Harry and Louise.

I have a marrige certificate for Harry and Louise dated 5/8/15 showing their address as Portsea where Harry would have been working in Portsmouth Dockyard before moving to Scotland. This was a bigamous marrige because as far as I know, Charles Bondy was at that time on the Isle of Man.

They returned to Portsmouth some 10 years later. My father Frederick, married in 1947 and had 2 children, me and my sister. I live in Brighton and she lives in Crawley. Harry died in 1952, and my grandmother died in 1975. She occasionally used different surnames such as Greenfield presumably still trying to remain untraceable.

Hope thats useful.

Ken Brown
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kgbrown11 28 Apr 2013 1:11PM GMT 
nelsonelaine5 28 Apr 2013 5:28PM GMT 
nelsonelaine5 28 Apr 2013 9:10AM GMT 
joanweaver36 28 Apr 2013 9:11PM GMT 
nelsonelaine5 28 Apr 2013 10:55PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic