Search for content in message boards

Town called Obenshania or Obenshain?

Replies: 4

Re: Town called Obenshania or Obenshain?

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 12:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Oct 2012 12:48PM GMT
Thanks so much for the suggestions. It was in this obituary record that the town was mentioned:

NICHOLAS HOFFMAN

Source: Wetzel Democrat, New Martinsville, W.Va., Thursday, Jan. 12, 1939

Nicholas Hoffman of this city, died at his home on Wednesday, Jan. 11, 1939. He was a retired car foreman for the B&O Railroad Company, having been here for the past 26 years. He came to this city from McMechen, W.Va. Mr. Hoffman was born in Obenshania (Obenshain), Germany on July 28, 1877, the son of Nicholas and Elizabeth Hoffman. He was united in marriage to Miss Louise Maltz of Obenshania, Germany and to this union two children were born. He is survived by his wife and two sons, Nicholas H. Hoffman and William R. Hoffman, both of New Martinsville, W.Va., and one sister, Mrs. Susiana Gibson of Miami, Florida. The remains were brought to the Wharton Funeral Home and prepared for burial and returned to the residence on Thursday, Jan. 12th, at 11 o’clock. The funeral services will be held on Saturday morning, Jan. 14th, at St. Vincent de Paul’s Catholic Church. Rev. Father Garrett will say mass. Interment will be in Northview Cemetery, New Martinsville, W.Va.

http://www.wvgenweb.org/marshall/obith.htm

My great grandmother was Susanna Hoffmann Gibson, sister to the deceased. She was born in 1892 and died in 1979. According to this obituary, Susanna's father was named Nicholas Hoffmann, but I've also seen him listed as Ignasius Hoffmann. Susanna's mother was supposedly Elizabeth Malz.

Someone suggested to me that Obenshania could have been a part of the former Austrian Monarchy. And Susanna used to say she was from Austria/Germany. (I've not had any luck finding the right Susanna in ship manifests or immigration records.)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lindsaystaufe... 16 Oct 2012 12:24AM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 16 Oct 2012 1:52PM GMT 
grosrok 16 Oct 2012 3:23PM GMT 
incitatus 18 Oct 2012 11:28AM GMT 
lindsaystaufe... 18 Oct 2012 6:41PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions