Search for content in message boards

False Habsburgs

Replies: 1

False Habsburgs

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 9:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
I recently acquired a copy of my grandmother's death certificate. She was an unusual lady by accounts I've heard (I never met her) but left little in terms of actionable clues as to her background. As such, the DC has been an interesting find for an ancestor on whom I can find very few verifiable facts. One thing that is notable is that her father (but not her mother) is listed on the death certificate. His name was apparantly Franz J. Habsburg. My grandmother had stated unwaveringly that she was a Habsburg while she was living. Her husband and children presumably passed along what they knew when her death records were being recorded by the county. They had never met any of her family and I would guess that what they knew was simply what she told them.

For starters, let's just assume that she was NOT the love-child of the late Austrian ruler. From a geneological perspective, this looks like a dead end. That said, what really has been interesting to me about all this is the phenomonon of Habsburg impersonators.

I am familiar with some of the more famous royalty hoaxsters- e.g. Anastasia Romanov, etc. However, I am not as familiar with false Habsburgs. Given the nature of how the Habsburg's empire came apart at the end of the Great War and the peculiar love-hate relationship that Central and Eastern European commoners had with their monarch. I wouldn't be surprised if false Habsburgs were common in the years following the Treaty of Versailles. However, there is not much info on this. Has anybody out there run across any stories of 20th century false Habsburgs? How common was this phenomenon?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
zakfreiwald 22 Oct 2012 3:54PM GMT 
Robert Jerin 22 Oct 2012 8:33PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions